Observational Study of Fromia Starfish Species Fromia indica, Fromia milliporella, Fromia pacifica

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No tank you! What happened to make it an article on reef2reef and make it available to all aquarists?
I'm still willing to share information with you guys! I just can't give the full article or anything like that because of the contract. I did fully intend on publishing it on R2R but it's been a dream of mine for many years to have an article under my name printed in ink so when I had the opportunity i took it. I'm more than happy to share with you guys!!

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm still willing to share information with you guys! I just can't give the full article or anything like that because of the contract. I did fully intend on publishing it on R2R but it's been a dream of mine for many years to have an article under my name printed in ink so when I had the opportunity i took it. I'm more than happy to share with you guys!!
Happy for you dude. Just to clarify, wend a aquarist buys the article are they just buying the study or are they also gaining access to the types of foods you been experimenting with?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Happy for you dude. Just to clarify, wend a aquarist buys the article are they just buying the study or are they also gaining access to the types of foods you been experimenting with?
Thanks! The foods aren't anything crazy to say the least...i guarantee you anyone can get a hold of them

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! The foods aren't anything crazy to say the least...i guarantee you anyone can get a hold of them
That mean “No” foods mentioned in the article. That’s not a problem for me as you may have gathered already although most of the following on the thread has been on the curiosity of the prep foods.

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That mean “No” foods mentioned in the article. That’s not a problem for me as you may have gathered already although most of the following on the thread has been on the curiosity of the prep foods.
Obviously i specifically discuss the foods and feeding regimen in the article....you asked "are they gaining access to the foods when they buy the article". I highly doubt the magazine is going to give you free food with your issue but who knows?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years and Patrick is still rolling strong congrats on your article and research into caring for our starfish

Attachments

• 20221205_154746.jpg
    20221205_154746.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 34
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 years and Patrick is still rolling strong congrats on your article and research into caring for our starfish
Thanks! I have a true love for echinoderms (particularly starfish) and want to further the information we have access to regarding not only keeping them in captivity but in the scientific community in general. There's so much we don't know about these creatures it's insane!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really hope to have the opportunity to study echinoderms (and other marine organisms) professionally. As i will soon earn my degree in environmental science, I'm looking for ways to do this...no matter what though, I plan to feed my passion by continuing with independent research and do want to keep writing articles.

LisaAP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congratulations on the article! Of course it would have to happen after my subscription to that magazine has ended. :loudly-crying-face: Hopefully the data will be available for all at some point in the future. :)

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Post the link, id be interested
When you click the link just scroll and there's a link that'll take you to the app store where you can buy it or the Google play store if you have an Android. I was pleasantly surprised to see that they offered the individual issues for purchase. If after reading you have any questions, feel free to contact me and ask...I'd be more than happy!

p1u5h13r4m24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on sharing the info with us all? If not please let me know and I will.
Thanks!

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you planning on sharing the info with us all? If not please let me know and I will.
Thanks!
Of course I'm happy to share information with anyone interested! (I just can't give away the full article due to the publisher's rules/regulations which state I can't publish it anywhere else within a 4 month period and although discussing in detail certainly isn't the same as publishing, they probably would prefer me not to talk about the article in "too" much detail)...but for anyone who would like to know about what i found feel free to ask me a question!

p1u5h13r4m24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the biofilm on the rocks they were feeding on? Just bacteria? What else did you find they would feed on other than the biofilm?

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the biofilm on the rocks they were feeding on? Just bacteria? What else did you find they would feed on other than the biofilm?
It's completely unknown in the scientific world exactly what part of the biofilm they need for nutrition because biofilm contains many microorganisms other than just bacteria and of course algae as well. We (as in humans) haven't identified exactly what they need and don't need in the biofilm. I discuss this further in the article and offer an explanation as to why we can't reproduce these conditions in our home aquariums 99% of the time.
I found they would feed on other "meaty" seafoods and with a feeding regimen in place we're actually able to gain weight...tbh I'd really prefer for you to read the article and then ask further questions regarding the feeding regimen, etc. for discussion because like i said, they probably wouldn't appreciate me telling everyone everything included in the article because that defeats the purpose of people reading the article. However, if you were to read it, you could ask in whatever way you like for any clarification if needed or for more details which may have not been included (although i feel i was thorough in including everything related to my results and methodology).

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What was the biofilm on the rocks they were feeding on? Just bacteria?
Biofilms are typically a mix of bacteria, cyanobacteria, diatoms, microalgae, fungi, etc.; they can vary drastically in makeup dependent on a number of different factors (and figuring out what is in them requires lab-grade equipment). As mentioned, we're not sure what in the biofilm is important for starfish health. Also, we're not sure what biofilm composition is preferred by the stars (and it almost certainly will vary from species to species).

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biofilms are typically a mix of bacteria, cyanobacteria, diatoms, microalgae, fungi, etc.; they can vary drastically in makeup dependent on a number of different factors (and figuring out what is in them requires lab-grade equipment). As mentioned, we're not sure what in the biofilm is important for starfish health. Also, we're not sure what biofilm composition is preferred by the stars (and it almost certainly will vary from species to species).
Yeah, i discuss that in detail in the article

OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who reads the article feel free to ask me whatever you like regarding it by DM or just to discuss is fine as well.

p1u5h13r4m24

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the article. Thank you for the information. Also for anyone who comes across this and is wondering… it’s ocassional masstick and fresh chucked oysters.

Kapachuka3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For anyone who reads the article feel free to ask me whatever you like regarding it by DM or just to discuss is fine as well.
Would there be any way for you to send me a link to the article. I also share an interest for these echinoderms, I hope you find a successful way to keep these creatures long term in captivity.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 54 34.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 29.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.5%
Back