Obvious Apex Question - Do the outlets kill power when off?

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For instance, if I have a heater set to turn off at 78, would the heater be completely off instead of in standby? Same thing with chiller. I am worried about power cycles and also calibration. Or would they somehow "talk" to each other so it know when to put the heater or chiller in standby?

Just setting it all up......

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For instance, if I have a heater set to turn off at 78, would the heater be completely off instead of in standby? Same thing with chiller. I am worried about power cycles and also calibration. Or would they somehow "talk" to each other so it know when to put the heater or chiller in standby?

Just setting it all up......
It depends on which Apex you are using.

I believe the EB8 is still the most common one out there, so I will address that. Outlets 1-3 and 5-7 use solid state devices to turn the outlets on and off. To the heater, this will look like a "stand by" and is very easy on the heater. Outlets 4 and 8 use mechanical relays to turn power on and off. This will create a transient that shouldn't cause a problem for the heaters, but isn't as gentle as the solid state outlets. The chiller likely uses separate motor contactors so it doesn't matter which outlets you would use. It will see them all as full power cycles.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would that not reset the calibration to the chiller and heater each cycle?

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would that not reset the calibration to the chiller and heater each cycle?
I'm not as familiar with chillers, but most heaters are only very roughly calibrated. I wouldn't trust the built in temperature sensors. I would use the Apex temperature probe to control the heaters and not their internal sensors.

OP
OP
Bubblebass

Bubblebass

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I understand you correctly, set the heater so it always comes on (72-74ish) and leave it to the Apex temp sensor to actually turn it on and off.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I understand you correctly, set the heater so it always comes on (72-74ish) and leave it to the Apex temp sensor to actually turn it on and off.
I set my heaters to shut off at 82F and my controller (Profilux, not Apex so the temp controls are slightly different) turns one on and off around 77.5F and the other at 78F.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back