Ocean Live Rock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Big shout out to Tampa Bay Saltwater on their live rock. I drove from North Georgia to Tampa for a local pick up, and could not be happier. Really cool product, worth every penny! Many thanks ladies!

IMG_5021.jpg

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool rock! Thanks for sharing! Look like you have:
- Botryocladia
- Caulerpa chemnitzia (once known as C. peltata)
- Caulerpa sertularioides
- Gracilaria (probably G. tikvahiae)
- Halimeda (hard to tell since it’s in the distance)
- Possibly Sargassum (there’s a small patch of brown blades in image 1 that doesn’t look like Dictyota or Aiptasia)
- Rock boring sponge (Cliona sp.) (not sure if this is safe or not)
- Limpet
- Black rock urchin (Arbacia sp.)
- Possibly a short spine urchin (Echinometra sp.)
- Some cool coralline :)

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool rock! Thanks for sharing! Look like you have:
- Botryocladia
- Caulerpa chemnitzia (once known as C. peltata)
- Caulerpa sertularioides
- Gracilaria (probably G. tikvahiae)
- Halimeda (hard to tell since it’s in the distance)
- Possibly Sargassum (there’s a small patch of brown blades in image 1 that doesn’t look like Dictyota or Aiptasia)
- Limpet
- Black rock urchin (Arbacia sp.)
- Possibly a short spine urchin (Echinometra sp.)
- Some cool coralline :)
That is great, Thanks! The Gracilaria did not come on the rocks, I picked that up on the beach after hurricane Ian. Definitely 2 or 3 limpets! The urchin is doing really well so far. I am going to look up the rest of the names you mentioned.

WheatToast

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

LiverockRocks

Gulf of Mexico Living Rock Farmers
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks for the compliment. Our customers are the best! Love, love, love seeing photos of TBS rock in your tanks!

We are thankful to be farming a great site off Tarpon Springs. The water here is filled with nutrients which lends itself to a plethora of diverse organisms. Another cool thing is the acres of sea grass nearby are the healthiest in the state. All this adds up to great rock.

The founder of TBS dropped a barge of quarried Bahamian rock almost 40 yrs ago on this underwater land leased from the state for rock aquaculture. Over the decades, it has been planted with various other rocks too, including Walt Smith man made rock. When visibility is good, it is a sight to behold.

We work hard to treat rock from ocean bottom to your tank as if it were a fish. Always submerged in top quality water in a clean, disease free environment. AquaBiomics tank dna tests revealed our system has 0 of the 13 parasites they test for. You won’t get ich, velvet, brook from us. WooHoo.

Thanks for the kind words. Rock farming is really hard work. Jocelyn and I are continuing to improve and learn as we go. We absolutely love being rock farmers!
So much to do.
-Madelyn

bnord

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great way to jump start your tank(s)

next time you head down let me know ill join you
So do we need to plan a road trip picking up people through Central Georgia all the way down to Tampa? Or one of us make the trip and meet in one place to split up the load? Smile

hubcap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is great, Thanks! The Gracilaria did not come on the rocks, I picked that up on the beach after hurricane Ian. Definitely 2 or 3 limpets! The urchin is doing really well so far. I am going to look up the rest of the names you mentioned.
this may be a dumb question, but, how did you attach it?
i see amazing samples of macro all the time along the honeymoon island causeway (not including red tide,) but, never harvested any.
too worried about war stories of hitchhikers.

hubcap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliment. Our customers are the best! Love, love, love seeing photos of TBS rock in your tanks!

We are thankful to be farming a great site off Tarpon Springs. The water here is filled with nutrients which lends itself to a plethora of diverse organisms. Another cool thing is the acres of sea grass nearby are the healthiest in the state. All this adds up to great rock.

The founder of TBS dropped a barge of quarried Bahamian rock almost 40 yrs ago on this underwater land leased from the state for rock aquaculture. Over the decades, it has been planted with various other rocks too, including Walt Smith man made rock. When visibility is good, it is a sight to behold.

We work hard to treat rock from ocean bottom to your tank as if it were a fish. Always submerged in top quality water in a clean, disease free environment. AquaBiomics tank dna tests revealed our system has 0 of the 13 parasites they test for. You won’t get ich, velvet, brook from us. WooHoo.

Thanks for the kind words. Rock farming is really hard work. Jocelyn and I are continuing to improve and learn as we go. We absolutely love being rock farmers!
So much to do.
-Madelyn

Do you offer dockside pickup?
I'm, literally, a 10 minute drive from the docks.

Keep up the great work, gals. You're carrying on an amazing service.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this may be a dumb question, but, how did you attach it?
i see amazing samples of macro all the time along the honeymoon island causeway (not including red tide,) but, never harvested any.
too worried about war stories of hitchhikers.
It came attached. The only thing I did was to secure the mermaids cup with a little bit of fishing line in a better position according to my flow. For the gracillia i found a small piece of rock with a hole in it and just tucked it in.
How large is your tank ànd how many many pounds did you get?
Tank is a 25 gallon lagoon. Bought a pound of live rock from one LFS and a pound of live rock from a second LFS, and supplemented with some ceramic media to get the tank cycled for about a month (using Dr Tim's ammonia) and get some nutrients established. Then removed the LFS rock to a smaller setup, and added 25 pounds of TBS premium ocean live rock. TBS was sensitive to the shape of the tank and even which hitch hikers I would enjoy seeing. I put in a single fish after about a week and I have been observing the rocks since the first week of October. Pulling out undesirables along the way. Mostly whelks, and a couple very small crabs.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back