Ocean revive 247b under lighting or over lighting my 210

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been running 3 of these these on my 210 for many years, coral growth has receded to the point im asking for help. Anemones are not spreading out the size of your hand and all staying nice and green but the size of a 50 cent piece, Maybe 50 or 60 in total which started from 1 25 years ago, which have not split since I started leds. Frogspawn does look like it lost color as its receded to almost what I started with 25 years ago. I acclimated for months, Over a year before I turned them up but im guessing im cooking these corals. Its a deep tank and I ran these at 85B and 65W Tonight I turned them way down.

over 20 years with 3 175 MH and 2 VHO atinic I was actually supplying coral branching hammer and frogspawn to all my friends and the local reef store. The coral was literally growing out of the tank it was so full.

Its not a water parameter thing, Its all lighting related. whats weird is the coral at the top of tank or low at bottom are all similar. Anemones are same size top and bottom. Im tempted to chuck the leds and go back, and if not enough light tempted to add kessils 360 or radions, but last thing I need is to add more problems since I obviously dont have a good grasp on Leds

jbandy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have these leds on a 35 gallon. Run blues on 40 and whites on 10. Led is 16 inches above water line. These lights are powerful. Have mixed reef with sps and lps. How are your nutrient levels.

Attachments

• 0B4398BD-45A5-40BC-8C87-85787AF26043.jpeg
    0B4398BD-45A5-40BC-8C87-85787AF26043.jpeg
    216.8 KB · Views: 20
OP
OP
outhouse

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nutrients are up and down over the years, my DSB over due for a tear down and clean, but water is very clean at the moment, im just getting over a carpet type brown algae ive never had before. Ive got them turned down to 30/10 and noticed the best colored frogspawn I have is hidden from the light. I guess I dont need more leds.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did par tests on those lights for someone. In a 24" deep tank the par was around 200 on the sand bed with both channels at 50%. The light was 10" above the water line. We also did the Viparspectra lights and the Reef Breeder Photon V2+ on the same setup. Vipar's were about 10% less than the 247's at around 180 on the sand. The Photon was 20% higher at around 240 on the sand. I don't think underlighting is the issue unless the lights are tired and not performing like the units I tested.

OP
OP
outhouse

outhouse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think underlighting is the issue unless the lights are tired and not performing like the units I tested.

So far only issue is the led display has degraded so you cannot see what the settings are. all be feel for 2 of the 3. Not a single led has degraded or failed.

ill run 20/5 on these until I see improvement and more color come back.

Sounds like I cooked the tank for over 5 years, I started out 50 to 60%

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 78 38.0%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.7%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.7%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 30 14.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back