Ocelaris, 250 build

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've avoided doing build threads in the past, but though I'd start one this time as I've learned a lot in the past 2 years, and hopefully this will be fun and productive.

So the SCA 110G 60x18x24 is coming down in 2 weeks, and I'm moving everything to two tanks in the utility room in the mean time. They've only been up for about 3 weeks, so I'm a bit worried, but hopefully we'll pull through.

The new tank is going to be made by Miracles Aquariums in Canada, and should be here sometime in July. Here's some specs:

60x36x27" tank
36" steel frame stand
4' sump
6x60" ATI Sunpower
4x60" Aquatic Life hybrid
2x Kessil A360we
2x Maxpect Gyre 150
Apex + 2 part dosing

As things progress I'll take some more screen shots, but I took some shots of the tank to sell it, so thought it'd be a good time to start.

In general the new tank is going to be slightly less maintenance than the existing tank as I have learned a lot and am going to keep ahead of things. Some challenges I faced which I'm going to take the chance to reboot are:

Shrimp + hermits - little devils, eat the food out of my LPS
More LPS - really fool proof with my time commitments
Only SPS that thrive, the ones that kinda pout are out.
More open Space.
More Tangs and Wrasses.
the RIGHT ball valves. Everything is going to be plumbed right this time
nip any algae and bugs ahead of introduction. Everything is staying in the temporary tanks until proven innocent; everything else gets bleached.
NO MONTIS! they take over everything!

Aquarium_Dimensions.jpg DSC05355.JPG DSC05358.JPG DSC05364.JPG DSC05378.JPG DSC05379.JPG DSC05380.JPG DSC05387.JPG

DSC05384-2296x1528.JPG

WV Reefer

I do what I want!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've avoided doing build threads in the past, but though I'd start one this time as I've learned a lot in the past 2 years, and hopefully this will be fun and productive.

So the SCA 110G 60x18x24 is coming down in 2 weeks, and I'm moving everything to two tanks in the utility room in the mean time. They've only been up for about 3 weeks, so I'm a bit worried, but hopefully we'll pull through.

The new tank is going to be made by Miracles Aquariums in Canada, and should be here sometime in July. Here's some specs:

60x36x27" tank
36" steel frame stand
4' sump
6x60" ATI Sunpower
4x60" Aquatic Life hybrid
2x Kessil A360we
2x Maxpect Gyre 150
Apex + 2 part dosing

As things progress I'll take some more screen shots, but I took some shots of the tank to sell it, so thought it'd be a good time to start.

In general the new tank is going to be slightly less maintenance than the existing tank as I have learned a lot and am going to keep ahead of things. Some challenges I faced which I'm going to take the chance to reboot are:

Shrimp + hermits - little devils, eat the food out of my LPS
More LPS - really fool proof with my time commitments
Only SPS that thrive, the ones that kinda pout are out.
More open Space.
More Tangs and Wrasses.
the RIGHT ball valves. Everything is going to be plumbed right this time
nip any algae and bugs ahead of introduction. Everything is staying in the temporary tanks until proven innocent; everything else gets bleached.
NO MONTIS! they take over everything!

Aquarium_Dimensions.jpg DSC05355.JPG DSC05358.JPG DSC05364.JPG DSC05378.JPG DSC05379.JPG DSC05380.JPG DSC05387.JPG

DSC05384-2296x1528.JPG

Following along. :)

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought I'd do a quick update. Basement is almost cleared out so the floor can be refinished with epoxy. So the temporary tanks are stocked with everything but the fish and shrimp which will be moving tomorrow or Thursday. The tank should be here July 2nd, so hopefully I can get it cycled and fish back by the end of that month.

IMG_20180612_230603.jpg

IMG_20180612_230610.jpg

IMG_20180612_230619.jpg

IMG_20180612_230649.jpg

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The deed is done. Everybody is moved over and now the wait for the new tank, stand and sump. So far everything is doing OK. Apex moved over and alk and calcium are dropping, but that's to be expected as I put 40 frags/colonies in this week. I'll keep up the monitoring and water changes and hope for the best.

Floor is getting epoxy in 3 days, so I may lose access to the tanks for a day here or there, but they're on feeders, so the fish will be fine.

IMG_20180614_113907.jpg

IMG_20180614_212532.jpg

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sps are lightening a bit. I'm solid on alkalinity and calcium, but my nitrates and phosphates are near zero, so I've been dosing nitrate and phosphates and turned off the skimmer and carbon.

Basement is getting an epoxy coating, and the guys are grinding the concrete down this week. I may get cut off from the fish for a day while the epoxy dries, as the temporary tanks are in the middle of the basement that's not getting sanded.

I'm probably going to get this drip tray under the tank as there is no bottom, which is nice as I'll get extra head room under there. They make a custom size (on one side) and which should be perfect for my tank.

The guys tied into my breaker directly for their 220v 50 amp tool, but that apparently wasn't enough juice so they brought a generator on a trailer to power the big guns.

http://m.driptite.com/combo-washer-dryer-pan/

combo-pan-figure-2.jpg

IMG_20180617_230804.jpg

IMG_20180619_202831.jpg

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump was ordered on the 7th, hopefully they will be here by the July 2nd delivery date for the tank so I can start ordering plumbing fittings.

It's a synergy cl-44 with refugium, filter socks and dual 1" returns. I also ordered two oceans motions returns.

I'm playing with the idea of some flexible pvc for the returns, but I really can't decide until I see how the tank and sump will line up. If I can just do 45 degree hard fittings that would be ideal, but I don't know whether the drop will be too much or too little. I want to place the sump in the front and chiller and uv in the back, but not sure how much space I will have. I also plan on enclosing the electrical area off from the sump area, but the stand is coming without sides, so that will be marine grade plywood sprayed white.

After I ordered the oceans motions returns someone pointed out that vividcreativeaquatics.com makes a random flow generator with loc line at 1". So I may change out the oceans motions, but at this time I like the oceans motions as they seem to be less restrictive, so we'll just have to see.

I am planning on using two sicce pro ac pumps that I have, but I may think about a reeflo Dart, but I don't really want the noise associated with them. But I haven't seen one in action, so any opinions are welcome as to pumps.

Return_Lid.jpg

omniflex-1.jpg

RFGS100LLG_2290.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And stand ready to be shipped out. The stand is 36" tall, but comes apart to fit through the door which is a little less than 30" wide.

IMG_1118.JPG

IMG_1119.JPG

IMG_1120.JPG

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, let's just say it's been a bad few weeks. Most of my sps have perished, and the lps are barely hanging on. I lost a flame wrasse who squeezed through a crack in the screen top.

But I can see light at the end of the tunnel. The floor just finished yesterday, sump is coming Thursday, and tank is coming Friday. I will start
adding pics once things start going better.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sump sump sump sump bump

Tank will be here Friday!

IMG_20180717_191910.jpg

IMG_20180717_191915.jpg

MRodrigues1991

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along! saw your for sale thread for your original tank on Manhattan reefs. Also have a similar dimension tank but shallower an only 4 feet long. Should be a good!

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a quick question. Why did you decide against going with a ghost overflow for your tank? I think your tank is going to be beautiful and I am not saying I am against what you decided to go with. Just asking to see your thought process. Thanks!

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted everything to be as clean as possible, so no quadrillion tubes running down the back. The last tank taught me that, and it's such a big tank front to back it's not a huge loss of space. I also wanted as much access as possible with it being 36" deep, 27" tall I didn't want a overflow to get in the way of working on things in the back.

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted everything to be as clean as possible, so no quadrillion tubes running down the back. The last tank taught me that, and it's such a big tank front to back it's not a huge loss of space. I also wanted as much access as possible with it being 36" deep, 27" tall I didn't want a overflow to get in the way of working on things in the back.
Gotcha. Sounds like you are coming from a place of experience with your decision. Excited to see what is next for you.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had some pictures of the old tank back side, but I usually tried my hardest to avoid those shots. The wife factor also played a part. But the tank is viewable from all 4 sides, so I made the stand very tall (39" to the bottom of the tank) and I'm trying to squeeze as much under the stand as possible.I
have a giant sump, giant uv and chiller,not to mention all the electronics.

If anyone has some tips on starting a tank off right, keeping algae to a minimum, time to introduce various animals I'd like to hear your take.

It's going to be a few weeks till I get the tank filled up, and then I'm thinking a month of cycling (rock is already bleached and acid washed and cycling as of last week). Then fish and clean up crew with very low light for a month before I move my lps over.

I'm debating white VS black for the doors. The wife is leaning towards black, but I like a bright white stand like the red sea reefer series. There were supposed to be tabs welded on the stand for me to wrap the stand, but that didn't happen, so I'll be drilling and tapping the stand.

OP
OP
Ocelaris

Ocelaris

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So the wife thinks the stand is too tall. I could hack a few inches off if I wanted, but I'm leaning towards keeping it as I like the height for viewing, despite the need for a stool to work on it... The last tank I could reach to the bottom without a stool, but I was always looking down. Opinions?

IMG_20180722_100133.jpg

IMG_20180722_100232.jpg

IMG_20180722_100221.jpg

IMG_20180722_100247.jpg

MAREEF

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to hard to grab a stool real quick.....but maybe she really liked the top down view?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 98 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back