ocellaris clownfish

Ed77

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals. Another question. I currently have 2 medium sized ocellaris clownfish in my 54 gallon. I believe they are paired up. I was just wondering if I were to add 2 more smaller ones if it would they get along or would the bigger established likely kill the smaller ones? Thanks

egwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You would be sentencing the smaller ones to death putting them in there. If you added them all at the same time and they were the same age you might get away with it. But I still wouldn't recommend it.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys and gals. Another question. I currently have 2 medium sized ocellaris clownfish in my 54 gallon. I believe they are paired up. I was just wondering if I were to add 2 more smaller ones if it would they get along or would the bigger established likely kill the smaller ones? Thanks

Definitely a bad idea to add more clownfish to a pair of established clowns.

Jesterrace

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added 4 at the same time and haven’t had any issues.
It’s been a cpl of months.

But you added them at the same time, not adding one pair and letting them establish themselves in a new tank and then adding two more smaller ones to the tank.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not only would one need to add at same time, but they would have to be juvies from same clutch for best chance of working out.

Many see this seem to work for a while, months maybe, but eventually 2 will pair up and mature, and that is when it usually changes dramatically, and that can happen overnight and can come home one day to battered or dead clowns.

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
from a purely visual enjoyment point of view (see what I did there?), adding a second pair would have diminishing returns, especially in a a 54 gallon. The awesomeness of these fish is the way they interact when they pair up. Much different than schooling fish where you want a nice group moving together or loners. IMO, a single pairs of ocellaris clowns is more interesting. (a harem is another story)

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 46 33.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 28 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 27 19.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.7%
Back