Octospawns spitting or dying?

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Purchased this piece about a month ago. Came in with little to no flesh band. There are definitely two separate mouths but the heads didn't appear to have branched apart. The "heads" were big and full a couple of days ago and now deflated and looks like flesh is tearing apart at base of head. Is it splitting and skeleton branching or is it dying?

PXL_20231006_193649372.jpg PXL_20231006_193707639.jpg

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most splitting is usually done without much of the skeletal tissue showing. What are your perameters?

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not sounding too good. Would dipping in iodine be worth a shot or too late? Should I remove from tank so other euphyllia don't start to follow?
RedSea and Salifert test kits
Temp 78°
Salinity 1.026
Alk 7.4
Ca 460
Mg 1410
Phos. .04
Testing nitrates

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So not sounding too good. Would dipping in iodine be worth a shot or too late? Should I remove from tank so other euphyllia don't start to follow?
Temp 78°
Salinity 1.026
Alk 7.4
Ca 460
Mg 1410
Phos. .04
Testing nitrates

Hmm is your alk usually that low? Norm is around 8-10

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Temp 78°
Salinity 1.026
Alk 7.4
Ca 460
Mg 1410
Phos. .04
Testing nitrates

An iodine dip would probably stress it out even more, once euphyllia start to bail not much can make em stay. But that being said they only bail if they HATE the water they're in

So do anything to your tank recently? Waterchange? New corals? Use any scented stuff near the tank???? Mess around with light intensity?

OP
OP
G

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is lower in this tank because I'm using NSW from Scripps Institute of Oceanography. I should probably be supplementing to keep it closer to 8-9dkh.

Nothing new to tank other than the tank it came from about a month ago. I did do a dip hydrogen peroxide dip followed by iodine when I got it because there was a flatworm in the bag it came in.

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I usually recommend a little bit of a buffer so i stick with that range 8-10 :) but if you're in a situation that allows for NSW im sure you're good with waterchanges!

Now for flat worms those little goobers are the bane of my existence. No signs of any other FWs?

Lemons

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And other then maybe that possible pest. It could be that they just didnt adjust to your tank verywell :( and gave up when it tried to split

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I usually recommend a little bit of a buffer so i stick with that range 8-10 :) but if you're in a situation that allows for NSW im sure you're good with waterchanges!

Now for flat worms those little goobers are the bane of my existence. No signs of any other FWs?
Agree that a buffer is good, but a lot of people do 7.5. I was shooting for that for a long time, now I try to maintain 8 only because I changed salt from Tropic Marin Pro to Aquaforest and it mixes higher. TMP mixes in the 7s.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back