Odd clownfish behavior- sick?

kamakazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My clown fish I've had for over a year suddenly just died about a week ago. Its partner is starting to behave strangely and I'm wondering if it's because of the loss, if it's sick, or something altogether different.

I've noticed him becoming increasingly more picky about his food. Started before the other died, but became very apparent a few days afterwards. He completely ignores pellets and flakes at this point (his staple food), but goes crazy for fresh arctic pods and frozen mysis. Today I noticed him hovering around the surface more than usual and swimming sporadically, as if he was trying to shake something off his body. No noticeable changes in coloration. Nitrates are pretty high (80ppm), despite 25% water change two days ago.

Any suggestions on what might be going on or how to help the little guy would be greatly appreciated!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any new additions? Even corals/inverts? Clownfish will sometimes act depressed if their mate dies (fish have feelings too), but it's prudent to rule out the possibility of disease first.

OP
OP
kamakazian

kamakazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No additions, but I also moved two tank mates into a bigger tank a few days after the death. One of them being an Orange shoulder tang, the other a Valentini puffer.

OP
OP
kamakazian

kamakazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh... I did start running my 55 through the 40B (originally had all fish in it) and the 55 was previously used as a sump in a used tank. Maybe something in the previous owner's tank?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No additions, but I also moved two tank mates into a bigger tank a few days after the death. One of them being an Orange shoulder tang, the other a Valentini puffer.

So those two fish went into the clownfish's tank? Do you QT any of your fish, corals, inverts ect?

OP
OP
kamakazian

kamakazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So those two fish went into the clownfish's tank? Do you QT any of your fish, corals, inverts ect?
All the fish originally were in the 40. So no new fish within the system. Most recently added a cleaner shrimp about 3 weeks ago. Before that a small striped damsel, sea serpent, and coral banded shrimp in late March. I hate to say this, but no, I don't QT new additions...

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so it could be a number of things bothering him parasite wise. Can we get pictures? Can you do a freshwater dip on him?

OP
OP
kamakazian

kamakazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, so it could be a number of things bothering him parasite wise. Can we get pictures? Can you do a freshwater dip on him?
I'm nervous to do a freshwater dip. It almost immediately killed my last guy :/ but then again, he was at a point where he was flipped upside down and struggling to breathe.
f758cbe23eb3c5f6938aef4fd24e9659.jpg

OP
OP
kamakazian

kamakazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth trying to dose with this ich remover?
7b3bc1ffc3c53b66539309f56fd28992.jpg

Or fish antibiotic.... Ciprofloxacin or fluconazole? These are the only things I have on hand I could think to use

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It almost immediately killed my last guy :/ but then again, he was at a point where he was flipped upside down and struggling to breathe.

That will do it right there. If they are past saving, then a freshwater dip isn't going to help them. Of course, you gotta try right? He looks ok physically from the pictures, so a freshwater dip won't hurt and will allow us to continue with diagnostics. You are checking for flukes with the dip.

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it worth trying to dose with this ich remover?
7b3bc1ffc3c53b66539309f56fd28992.jpg

Or fish antibiotic.... Ciprofloxacin or fluconazole? These are the only things I have on hand I could think to use

No. You don't want to start treating with anything until you have at least a small grasp of what you are treating for.

OP
OP
kamakazian

kamakazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will do it right there. If they are past saving, then a freshwater dip isn't going to help them. Of course, you gotta try right? He looks ok physically from the pictures, so a freshwater dip won't hurt and will allow us to continue with diagnostics. You are checking for flukes with the dip.
So I wanna make sure I do this right haha. I have rodi water ready. Do I just catch him, drop him in a gallon of freshwater for 5 min and then dump him back into the tank? I've read that they should be sent to QT and dipped a few times into the freshwater?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's how to do the freshwater dip. Afterwards, it would be a good idea to transfer into a QT just in case treatment is needed, then you won't need to catch him again.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ Agree with a FW dip to check for flukes and/or see if behavior & eating improves following it. That will give us some idea if this might be something disease related.

OP
OP
kamakazian

kamakazian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to follow up... I tried the fw dip with my clown. Nothing came off. He's been eating more regularly and aggressively now that he has a new partner :) just a case of the blues!

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 15.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 83 48.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 31.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back