Odd Couple?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Rjukan
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Rjukan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Joined
Sep 4, 2018
Messages
1,567
Reaction score
3,117
Location
Staten Island
What state or country do you live in
New York
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pearly Jawfish:
20240602_160424.jpg

And...
20240602_160250.jpg


How about this duo? I got them both at the same time from a great LFS here, Absolutely Fish. They were both pretty nervous in the tank with my coral beauty, royal gramma, and to lesser extent, flame hawkfish giving them too much attention.

I put a new rock in from the sump and pressed my finger under it to start a burrow, and luckily after an hour or so, the Jawfish made a home. The other fish is a Helfrich’s Firefish , which was fine to swim above the new rock for the rest of that first day. The following day the firefish wasn't around. I checked all over but I couldn't find it on the floor. The jawfish was just bobbing in and out of his home, and I noticed the opening a little bigger but didn't think anything of it. That was last Sun.. I scanned the tank every day for the firefish but didn't see any trace. I gave up hope on Thur or so, but sure enough, look what greeted me Friday when I fed the tank. The jawfish was bold enough to go swim a min for some food, and when it was out I saw the firefish poke it's head out lol :D I was so happy!

Just wanted to share this cute couple.. and ask if anyone has seen something similar, or should I prepared for any problems down the road.
 
Pearly Jawfish:
20240602_160424.jpg

And...
20240602_160250.jpg


How about this duo? I got them both at the same time from a great LFS here, Absolutely Fish. They were both pretty nervous in the tank with my coral beauty, royal gramma, and to lesser extent, flame hawkfish giving them too much attention.

I put a new rock in from the sump and pressed my finger under it to start a burrow, and luckily after an hour or so, the Jawfish made a home. The other fish is a Helfrich’s Firefish , which was fine to swim above the new rock for the rest of that first day. The following day the firefish wasn't around. I checked all over but I couldn't find it on the floor. The jawfish was just bobbing in and out of his home, and I noticed the opening a little bigger but didn't think anything of it. That was last Sun.. I scanned the tank every day for the firefish but didn't see any trace. I gave up hope on Thur or so, but sure enough, look what greeted me Friday when I fed the tank. The jawfish was bold enough to go swim a min for some food, and when it was out I saw the firefish poke it's head out lol :D I was so happy!

Just wanted to share this cute couple.. and ask if anyone has seen something similar, or should I prepared for any problems down the road.
lol I purchased a diamond goby, a yellow watchman goby, and a firefish goby all at the same time, and all 3 to this day share the burrow that the diamond maintains. It is fun to watch the relationships fish make. I also purchased a naso tang and a foxface rabbit fish at the same time, and they are buddies. They swim together, eat together, explore together. It’s pretty amazing really.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 44.4%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.1%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.7%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 4 14.8%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new