Odd hairs, or sweepers?? Or worse?

boeingn747

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been noticing these 2 hairs that make a v shape coming out of some of the polyps on some of my sps corals. Mainly birdsnest, cyphastrea, and I have seen it on some montipora. My question is what the heck is it. When I first saw it I assumed that they were sweepers of some kind. However, when I tried doing some research on sweepers on these coral types I don't see anything like this. They are definitely alive because when i touch it they will retract. It's odd that only some corals of the same type do it. I have several birdsnest varieties and only one does it. Only one cyphastrea does it. One monti does it. I am wondering if it is some type of pest or something. Let me know what you think I am looking at. Thanks

20210323_204617.jpg 20210323_204449.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be a spaghetti worm but no clear view of where these are coming from. Other possibility is multiple spinoid worms

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they just filter feeders and not to worry or will they spread? Should I dip the coral? What are your recommendations?
If its a barnacle just a filter feeder. Had one in middle of my galaxia for years.
Try and get us a clearer shot if possible. As Vette said maybe spaghetti worm as well...

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like a Spionid worm in that first picture to me. They are not necessarily bad other than can annoy the coral. I leave anything like that in the tank unless it is causing my corals to close up then I get rid of them.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 41.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 35.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back