Acro sweepers or pest?

Enrique7

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers! Trying to figure out if these are sweepers at the base of the base or some parasite. I think they are sweepers
IMG_9269.jpeg

spsick

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those are a little filter feeders. I wouldn’t say it’s a pest as I have not seen them reproduce. It’s usually just one here or there.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers! Trying to figure out if these are sweepers at the base of the base or some parasite. I think they are sweepers
IMG_9269.jpeg
those are Coral boring spionid worms, and they do and can reproduce I've had one turn into two in a year on one coral but I've had a few on a montipora turn into over 50 in the same tank and I've had them in rock also I'd try to get it while it's only one or two. it's not easy but maybe you can dig it out when it's out of it's house.

I'd say it's a pest!

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
those are Coral boring spionid worms, and they do and can reproduce I've had one turn into two in a year on one coral but I've had a few on a montipora turn into over 50 in the same tank and I've had them in rock also I'd try to get it while it's only one or two. it's not easy but maybe you can dig it out when it's out of it's house.

I'd say it's a pest!
Agree, a difficult pest to remove. I had to resort to cutting my coral to get it out. They live deeper in the Acro base and those are just their feelers.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree, a difficult pest to remove. I had to resort to cutting my coral to get it out. They live deeper in the Acro base and those are just their feelers.
yeah I've cut the tube on an acro befor and missed the worm, it re appeared in a few weeks but the "frag" I cut didn't have it. I've also cut a branch and glued it to a frag plug and the worm is now on the frag plug. so it's hit or miss.

so when they are out go quick and deep. I've also not tried digging and superglue but I assume they will just move if you dont go deep enough, if the coral is healthy I just dig with a good tool and hope to kill them unfortunately I've let more go than I've gone after, this make me think about working on my issue now......

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah I've cut the tube on an acro befor and missed the worm, it re appeared in a few weeks but the "frag" I cut didn't have it. I've also cut a branch and glued it to a frag plug and the worm is now on the frag plug. so it's hit or miss.

so when they are out go quick and deep. I've also not tried digging and superglue but I assume they will just move if you dont go deep enough, if the coral is healthy I just dig with a good tool and hope to kill them unfortunately I've let more go than I've gone after, this make me think about working on my issue now......
I wonder if injecting hydrogen peroxide (or Kalkwasser paste) into their tubes would be effective..

dwhanc00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have them as well, any other suggestions other than cutting them out?

IKD

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Discussion thread here

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had one in my tank also
I dug out and glued the hole up
Thinking I had won the battle I monitored for a while and low and behold he popped up next to the dug glued hole

Very hard to get rid of

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back