Odd night-time anemone.

Marshalliom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I spotted this guy a few months ago just as the lights were coming on in my Reef170, I tried looking for it later in the day and it seemed to have just disappeared. Originally I thought it might have been a ball anemone and it had moved elsewhere.

Anyway, the other morning I was in the den just as the lights came on and it's still there, in fact I spotted quite a few of them dotted around the tank. As I watched they all receded with the light so I'm guessing what ever they are only come out at night which is why I'd only seen them the once before. Managed to grab a a couple more pics this morning, but I still don't know what they are.

As an aside they don't seem to be harming anything, for now at least.

Any ideas at all?

PXL_20240113_083212752.MP.jpg PXL_20240113_083212752.MP~2.jpg PXL_20240113_083253722.MP.jpg

OP
OP
M

Marshalliom

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look up pictures of turtle grass anemones (or sea grass anemones) to see if it matches.
If not that see the picture, fourth row third pictures of this website, http://coldwater.science/project/anthozoa

I think you've nailed it with Actinia. Turtle/sea grass anemone doesn't *quite* look right however that picture you mentioned looked identical! Great job, thanks

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 112 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back