Odd spot on clownfish gills

jlangston91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My black storm that I've had for 4 months has started to get these brownish, reddish colored spots on its gills over the past month. It started on the right side but has a similar spot on the left side now. It almost looks stringy. Not very long but protrudes outside the gill. Parameters are showing good. No elevated levels. All other tank mates are okay. ( Orange storm, bangaii cardinal, clown goby, and twin spot goby) It has been eating fine and is swimming and acting normal. I've read about over breeding with these guys can cause gill issues and deformities. I'm just trying to narrow it down before I overthink it. Thanks.

IMG_20230525_193257902.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My black storm that I've had for 4 months has started to get these brownish, reddish colored spots on its gills over the past month. It started on the right side but has a similar spot on the left side now. It almost looks stringy. Not very long but protrudes outside the gill. Parameters are showing good. No elevated levels. All other tank mates are okay. ( Orange storm, bangaii cardinal, clown goby, and twin spot goby) It has been eating fine and is swimming and acting normal. I've read about over breeding with these guys can cause gill issues and deformities. I'm just trying to narrow it down before I overthink it. Thanks.

IMG_20230525_193257902.jpg
Looks like an infection that has developed a cyst. There are hereditary issues with tank raised clowns but this looks more infected. If fish is eating and breathing normal- keep an eye on it and assure water quality is satisfactory
if you want to treat as an assurance of no further development, you can use Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 in a quarantine tank

OP
OP
J

jlangston91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like an infection that has developed a cyst. There are hereditary issues with tank raised clowns but this looks more infected. If fish is eating and breathing normal- keep an eye on it and assure water quality is satisfactory
if you want to treat as an assurance of no further development, you can use Seachem Kanaplex or Maracyn 2 in a quarantine tank
I did go ahead and buy metroplex, kaneplex, and focus. Just in case it was some type of parasite or infection. I have a 10 gallon ready to go also. Just didn't want to start dosing unnecessarily. He does seem to be happy though. I don't want to wait till he's not and it's too late either.

Would it be best to dose 1 in the food with focus and 1 in the water column of the qt? Or just do kaneplex first since it's leaning that way? Don't wanna overdose the guy. Thanks

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clearer picture would really help. I can see a reddish spot on the edge of its right gill cover, but I can't see enough detail as to what might be causing that.

Don't mix medications with food unless you calculate the dose. We have tools here to do that here, but you would need an accurate gram scale. Besides, this is an external lesion, and those are best treated with an antibiotic bath, in a treatment tank, as @vetteguy53081 suggested.

jay

OP
OP
J

jlangston91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A clearer picture would really help. I can see a reddish spot on the edge of its right gill cover, but I can't see enough detail as to what might be causing that.

Don't mix medications with food unless you calculate the dose. We have tools here to do that here, but you would need an accurate gram scale. Besides, this is an external lesion, and those are best treated with an antibiotic bath, in a treatment tank, as @vetteguy53081 suggested.

jay
I'm not sure if these are any better, but maybe you can make more of it than me. My 5 year old phone isn't the greatest. Haha I will have my wife try to get a few more when she gets home. She's better at this kind of thing.

I will go ahead and get the kaneplex bath ready in the qt. I'm not gonna use the metro. How long would you recommend? I will research other posts as well to clarify. And sorry for the double post. I noticed after I posted that it was the wrong topic. Couldn't figure it how to delete or turn off comments. I see now it probobly didn't matter. Thanks

IMG_20230526_112017043.jpg IMG_20230525_193428525.jpg

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 147 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.5%
Back