Odds of changing to male?

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just recently purchased a sub adult/ female diamond tail Wrasse from ny aquatics. Came in healthy and eating on arrival. Couldn't be happier with NY Aquatics. The sub adult I got in came in a little bigger than I was expecting and looks like a female. She is in qt now for the next 3 weeks. She will be going in with a male pintail fairy after qt, then a pair of Madagascar flashers in a month after that. What are the chances that she will turn into a male? Here is the only pic I had of her on my phone. Just wondering if I should buy another diamond tail to guarantee one of them will change.

IMG_20200618_183943.jpg

El_Guapo13

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the thread that @evolved made on wrasses and his other thread about pairing wrasses, it is guaranteed that it will develop into a male.

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a matter of time.

However, your fish is Cirrhilabrus africanus - not a diamond tail. And it's not the first time NYA has sold those mislabeled, and he doesn't believe my IDs, so...
(what was "kwazulu" then is africanus now)

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's just a matter of time.

However, your fish is Cirrhilabrus africanus - not a diamond tail. And it's not the first time NYA has sold those mislabeled, and he doesn't believe my IDs, so...
(what was "kwazulu" then is africanus now)
That's funny you bring that up because when I first looked at it, I questioned of it was a diamond tail also.... So did I overpay for an overall common wrasse which isn't even a flasher? Do I ask for a partial refund?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So did I overpay for an overall common wrasse which isn't even a flasher?
Well, africanus isn't all that common, and it's been a few years since I've really seen them available. It's probably ~$200-300 fish on today's market, but a part of that is unknown as it also depends on what the collectors wish to charge these days.
The only issue with this species is that it is a bit on the aggressive side of Cirrhilabrus, and it might be intolerant of other Cirrhilabrus in the tank, and possibly additional Paracheilinus, too.
Do I ask for a partial refund?
My experience there says you'd be wasting your time.

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, africanus isn't all that common, and it's been a few years since I've really seen them available. It's probably ~$200-300 fish on today's market, but a part of that is unknown as it also depends on what the collectors wish to charge these days.
The only issue with this species is that it is a bit on the aggressive side of Cirrhilabrus, and it might be intolerant of other Cirrhilabrus in the tank, and possibly additional Paracheilinus, too.

My experience there says you'd be wasting your time.
I am upgrading my tank to an innovative marine 100 hopefully by September if the tank comes in when it's expected. If I were to add the Africanus last, would that help with the aggression toward Wrasses already in the tank ?

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am upgrading my tank to an innovative marine 100 hopefully by September if the tank comes in when it's expected. If I were to add the Africanus last, would that help with the aggression toward Wrasses already in the tank ?
Unfortunately, no. If it's one of the bad apples of temperament, the order won't matter.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pictures of my female/male Diamond Tail. She was about 1.25 inches. She turn male within days of having the male remove from the tank. Her 10th dorsal ray elongated was the first sign of sex change as pictured below.
p-attenuatus2020021609s-jpg.1428006

p-attenuatus2020032904l-jpg.1494668

OP
OP
150 Gallon Reef

150 Gallon Reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are pictures of my female/male Diamond Tail. She was about 1.25 inches. She turn male within days of having the male remove from the tank. Her 10th dorsal ray elongated was the first sign of sex change as pictured below.
p-attenuatus2020021609s-jpg.1428006

p-attenuatus2020032904l-jpg.1494668
Unfortunately I didnt get a diamond tail. So I'm not too sure what to expect with her or do I even know if I can keep her

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • Neither.

• Other.

Back