Odor smell from tank

DustinDec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So our new Red Sea S 550 G2 is giving off a musty odor that can be smelled from around the room and connected kitchen. We have a reef mat, and skimmer. I’ve been reading that this is expected and I could just add activated Carbon to help resolve. My concern is I just (seemingly) got HLLE under control for our Blue Tang. I had left a blue chemo for 3 months in our last tank. I’m wondering if that could have caused the problem.

Should I order blue chemo again and how much should I add to the sump for 140g total? And how often should I replace? Any other ideas?

OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love that smell.

Some regular activated carbon will do. It’s usually exhausted in 2 weeks.
Two weeks with the activated carbon or just in general without?

I do not recall this happening with my last tank, but it was not nearly this size, nor did it run a reef mat or skimmer of this size.

Honestly, the smell isn't bad in my opinion. But it is a little musty, and my family (not immediate) can be judgmental. I'm also worried that the Chemi Blue can cause harm to my tang(s), so I'm really debating this.

JustAnotherNanoTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two weeks with the activated carbon or just in general without?

I do not recall this happening with my last tank, but it was not nearly this size, nor did it run a reef mat or skimmer of this size.

Honestly, the smell isn't bad in my opinion. But it is a little musty, and my family (not immediate) can be judgmental. I'm also worried that the Chemi Blue can cause harm to my tang(s), so I'm really debating this.
I’m saying usually two weeks is the recommended interval for changing out carbon.

I can’t answer as for the chemi blue, I would presume it just stops being effective and it’s not like you left if for multiple months.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same tank have an ozone generator that runs for 30 minutes each night into a skimmer. This keeps the water crystal clear. If you put your nose a few inches above the water you smell almost nothing other than the very faint smell of clean saltwater. This is much more convenient than replacing carbon every few weeks.

OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the exact same tank have an ozone generator that runs for 30 minutes each night into a skimmer. This keeps the water crystal clear. If you put your nose a few inches above the water you smell almost nothing other than the very faint smell of clean saltwater. This is much more convenient than replacing carbon every few weeks.
Could you share the specific generator you have setup and a picture by chance? Please!

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you share the specific generator you have setup and a picture by chance? Please!
I use the Poseidon 200 and run it on the second lowest setting (ie, level 2'out of 10) for 30 minutes every day. The air output line from the Poseidon goes into the air inlet of a spare skimmer. My main skimmer is not ozone comparable so I just bought a small skimmer that was on sale and use that as my dedicated ozone reactor. You can search on this board for threads on ozone---there are many. What I did was wait for the Poseidon to go on sale and purchased it from a place with free shipping and tax already included in the price.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So our new Red Sea S 550 G2 is giving off a musty odor that can be smelled from around the room and connected kitchen. We have a reef mat, and skimmer. I’ve been reading that this is expected and I could just add activated Carbon to help resolve. My concern is I just (seemingly) got HLLE under control for our Blue Tang. I had left a blue chemo for 3 months in our last tank. I’m wondering if that could have caused the problem.

Should I order blue chemo again and how much should I add to the sump for 140g total? And how often should I replace? Any other ideas?
I have always felt this comes from my skimmer. So just clean the collection cup more often?

OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also is likely it’s the used up portion of your reef mat. Causing the smell
I was thinking this as well, do most people cut off the used portion between changes?

I have always felt this comes from my skimmer. So just clean the collection cup more often?
The skimmer has only been running for maybe a week. I’ve only had to empty it once. So I’m really uncertain.

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking this as well, do most people cut off the used portion between changes?

The skimmer has only been running for maybe a week. I’ve only had to empty it once. So I’m really uncertain.
Dunno. Don’t have or use one. I know my filter socks have a musty fishy smell in the bucket I store them in between washing. So that’s what made me think of it

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humidity is another possibility.. does it smell in the cabinet? Put your hand in the water, does it smell?

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do this test: Put your head right over your display tank waterline. What do you smell? If you did this on my tank you would smell either nothing or the faint smell of clean saltwater. My skimmer still smells but that only comes up when I have to empty or clean it out. While running in my sump undisturbed there is no detectable scent from it.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do this test: Put your head right over your display tank waterline. What do you smell? If you did this on my tank you would smell either nothing or the faint smell of clean saltwater. My skimmer still smells but that only comes up when I have to empty or clean it out. While running in my sump undisturbed there is no detectable scent from it.
Yeah pretty much the same for me. Only difference is my skimmer is HOB, so the collection cup once about 1/2 full gives off that musty earthy smell. But man oh man when I remove it for dumping/cleaning, smells like a sewer line opened up in my house! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: :anguished-face:

Rjukan

Broken
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It also is likely it’s the used up portion of your reef mat. Causing the smell
I was thinking of this too, but since I've never used one before I don't know from first hand exp. But I would imagine the used side would put out some serious stink.

Last edited:

ryanjohn1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of this too, but since I've never uses one before I don't know from first hand exp. But I would imagine the used side would put out some serious stink.
Yeah plus it’s wet while it rolls and re wets the other. I mean it’s full of solid wastes. And would be there for probably a month at a time. Open the cabinets and get blasted by the Jersey shore stink. Hard pass.

OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Under the cabinet absolutely smells. I think it’s a combination of the skimmer and reef mat. But I can spell it now almost all the way upstairs. Was going to pick up Chemi Blue to start things off, today. I’m also trying to figure out what activated carbon to place on top of the skimmer.

OP
OP
DustinDec

DustinDec

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought about this .... we have one Green Chromis that has been missing for days now. To be honest, I didn't mean to add it from our old tank (we got three, and put it in the old tank to monitor). This one was always sitting in the rocks hiding, not even coming out to eat and I had to target feed it. But, I could only do that because I knew where it was, in the large tank, I have no idea. I know the Royal Gramma can be aggressive with its little cave, we were thinking the Gramma may have attacked it. Wondering if perhaps the smell could be due to the deadfish being stuck somewhere. I'm not seeing a spike in ammonia.

That said, it definitely smells under the cabinet, and seems to be primarily the reefmat. I just cleaned the skimmer which was 1/4 full, and it was spelling pretty bad as well. The water above does smell a little which is why I'm thinking that Chromis may have died.

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just thought about this .... we have one Green Chromis that has been missing for days now. To be honest, I didn't mean to add it from our old tank (we got three, and put it in the old tank to monitor). This one was always sitting in the rocks hiding, not even coming out to eat and I had to target feed it. But, I could only do that because I knew where it was, in the large tank, I have no idea. I know the Royal Gramma can be aggressive with its little cave, we were thinking the Gramma may have attacked it. Wondering if perhaps the smell could be due to the deadfish being stuck somewhere. I'm not seeing a spike in ammonia.

That said, it definitely smells under the cabinet, and seems to be primarily the reefmat. I just cleaned the skimmer which was 1/4 full, and it was spelling pretty bad as well. The water above does smell a little which is why I'm thinking that Chromis may have died.
I hope you can find the source of the smell. I also have a RedSea Reefmat and skimmer running on the same tank. Cannot smell anything form the sump when the cabinet doors are closed. Even when open it doesn't smell too bad other than when I drain or clean out the skimmer.

javajaws

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on building a cover for my fleece roller to keep a bag of carbon between it and fresh air to help keep the stink down. Luckily the shape of my roller makes this possible - not sure you could do that easily with a reefmat.

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 5 7.1%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 22.9%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 31 44.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.7%
Back