!!!OF A BONANZA OF THREE PACK!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Ghxst

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you got any sps in the system at this time? and if so how long have they been in there, and have you seen any growth at all?

Sure do, my first coral was a green slimmer and now I have a mix of it all. I just must have had the right amount that water changes took care of it. Now I do need to dose, would this explain the coroline dieoff and grows?

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sure do, my first coral was a green slimmer and now I have a mix of it all. I just must have had the right amount that water changes took care of it. Now I do need to dose, would this explain the coroline dieoff and grows?

Thats a tough call but possible. I have seen coraline come and go over the years myself, primarily due to seasonal ph swings I believe, and sometimes if i change out an old halide bulb

The key is stability. Whatever the means to do it by are just that, weather it's a reactor, or manual dosing or simply with water changes, will ultimately accomplish the goal. My advice to people, is always to test alk at least once a day, and really get in tune to the trends. The more tuned in to these demands you are, the more stable your tank will be. And further the more often you test will help prevent possible issues because you will be on top of a swing before it came get too high or too low on you.

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats a tough call but possible. I have seen coraline come and go over the years myself, primarily due to seasonal ph swings I believe, and sometimes if i change out an old halide bulb

The key is stability. Whatever the means to do it by are just that, weather it's a reactor, or manual dosing or simply with water changes, will ultimately accomplish the goal. My advice to people, is always to test alk at least once a day, and really get in tune to the trends. The more tuned in to these demands you are, the more stable your tank will be. And further the more often you test will help prevent possible issues because you will be on top of a swing before it came get too high or too low on you.

After following Adam's advice I now test twice a day ..
Am obsessed with testing alk

swk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This guy has given me lots of solid advice over the last year or 2. But this, THIS is simply the best piece of advice anyone has given me about this hobby. Hands down.

Knowing what effects certain environmental circumstances have on calcification is paramount to being able to head off alk swings before they have a chance to get lethal.

Case in point - I HAD an urchin, that would tick off the acros every time it spawned. I knew from daily testing that alk demand was going to plummet during this episode and adjusted my calrx accordingly. The end result was that my alk only fluctuated by .2 dkh even though I made a drastic cut in the amount of gas to my calrx for most of the day until the stress subsided. After that i raised the gas but not as high as it was as I knew though daily testing, that it would take a few days for all to return to normal.

Again - best tool in my sps keeping toolbox.

louisvillereefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Adam, How much alk swing do you consider acceptable throughout the day? Thanks!

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Adam, How much alk swing do you consider acceptable throughout the day? Thanks!

Man that's a great question. Probably easier to show you what my log reads to get a good idea of the alk trends in my main system. Heres a screen shot of the data log from the KH guardian. Tests every 4 hours and seems pretty accurate after checking against titration tests every now and then. I see swings from 7.6 to 8.00 which is relatively tight margin and easily achieved with a dialed in calcium reactor or dosing regimen.

Screenshot 2017-07-17 12.25.30.png

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
get that thing dosing Adam ;)

I hear you on that but............ Thing is I don't like the idea of adding only alk sporadicly, and not balanced calcium as well. May be minor but over time i can see the balance getting skewed. Plus I'm not so certain the tests are that precisely accurate, so i also fear bumping alk when its not entirely necessary based on a tad higher result.

I have already highly suggested incorporating a definitive alk/calcuim calculator into the software that would dose whatever product you chose accordingly. I have no doubt they could pull something like that off. But for now I'm content with steady monitoring. In fact i absolutely love the thing.

agent462

I like my tanks wide
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you on that but............ Thing is I don't like the idea of adding only alk sporadicly, and not balanced calcium as well. May be minor but over time i can see the balance getting skewed. Plus I'm not so certain the tests are that precisely accurate, so i also fear bumping alk when its not entirely necessary based on a tad higher result.

I have already highly suggested incorporating a definitive alk/calcuim calculator into the software that would dose whatever product you chose accordingly. I have no doubt they could pull something like that off. But for now I'm content with steady monitoring. In fact i absolutely love the thing.
I understand. I've only had mine for a week but from an accuracy standpoint, mine stays in-line with Red Sea Alk and Salifert test kits. My Hanna has so far been proven inaccurate which is a shame because I had been using that exclusively for awhile (but stability is still key, off or not).

With the new AIM module you should be able to use the Apex to setup calc dosing. Since the KHG doses a specific amount for each interval point off you can calculate how much calc you would need. When the KH hits the Apex you can do something like (pseudocode) if KH = this then dos this much. I'm also interested in this calcium reactor module they are working on.

Let's say the accuracy is also off .1, you're also dosing in such a smaller amount than the KH being .5 off. Micro-dosing.

I get your paranoia though; you've got a business sitting in them tanks. I LOVE mine too, except having to send it back for the upgrade.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I agree. I had to tune up just a little and also needed a tweak when i refilled the reagent, but the tests are definitely consistent. And you are totally right I remember talking with carlos about that as well. once the apex get in the picture its like a whole new world of options opens up for sure.

Needles to say I will get the monitor only version for my other systems as soon as they come out:)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
little update on this one,.

pack 1 is sold, the other three are still up for grabs! Can ship as soon as today now:)

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed my order and I look forward to receiving it.
If you have not purchased from Adam yet you are missing out. He is awesome to deal with his corals are second to none

Blitzie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received packs three and four today plus a few other I added in. Don't tell the wife (lol)
Adam is the best. you don't get any nubs you get large frags with multiple branches buy with confidence and enjoy

thanks Battlecorals
you are a class act

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back