Official "Aussie" Scolymia Show Off Thread...

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, most LPS will take food if presented at the right time of day. Eating helps them grow faster. Not sure if it makes them any healthier. I wouldn't know how to quantify that. But they do appear to grow faster.

I should have said, "They can be fed." in my first post. I don't know that they "need" it.
But should they be fed anytime their feeding polyps are out (even within an hour of being fed in my case), once per day, once per week, twice per week, ect...?

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Just picked up my first one, it’s a crocodile scoly.
311a4b48dd29e66c227ef5125f14611e.jpg

Nice Lobos Greg! Aussies?

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But should they be fed anytime their feeding polyps are out (even within an hour of being fed in my case), once per day, once per week, twice per week, ect...?
I'm no expert. Not even a novice. Just a regular common sense guy. I always fed mine at night. I fed all my LPS at night because that seemed to be when they were most actively seeking or searching for food. Wrong? Right? I dunno.

gcarroll

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm no expert. Not even a novice. Just a regular common sense guy. I always fed mine at night. I fed all my LPS at night because that seemed to be when they were most actively seeking or searching for food. Wrong? Right? I dunno.
but how often?

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but how often?
Don't really remember. It's been about 6yrs since I last had a tank. I'm just now beginning to purchase the equipment to set up a reef tank again.

Probably a couple times a week?
Obviously, if a particular coral wasn't out that night, I wouldn't try to force feed it. Wait until the next feeding and see if it's
ready to eat yet.
They don't get fed on a regular schedule in the ocean. Random is prolly just as good as a strict schedule IMO.

Think of the corals as underwater plants. A reef tank is an under water garden. They are photosynthetic organisms that rely on sunlight and trace elements in the water (the media) to survive, but they can and do capture live prey in the wild.

If you feed your house plants all the time, they're going to grow bigger/faster. If you only feed now and then, its going to take longer for them to grow bigger. On the other hand, you can also overfeed a plant with too many nutrients and burn it, even kill it.

You can also starve a plant to death. If all you offer is tap water, the plant will be fine until it uses all the nutrients in the soil or media. But eventually all of the available/soluble nutrients in the media will be consumed by the plant. If you continue to only offer tap water, the plant will eventually wither, shrink and die. If you want the plant to survive in a captive environment for many years, you would need to replenish the nutrients by dumping the pot and refilling with new soil or growing media that was loaded with plenty of nutrients, or you would mix up a fertilizer and offer that with the tap water. Either way, you need to replenish trace elements/nutrients for the plant to remain healthy and vibrant.

Logic would lead me to believe that feeding corals rich, "high calorie" food to frequently may not be good for them. Is this fact? No. Just a gut feeling.

Our media is water... saltwater. There are trace elements in the media, but they get absorbed by the corals. If you never replace the trace elements in the media (water change) you'll need to find a different way to replenish those nutrients or your plants (corals) will slowly wither, shrink, and possibly die.

Can corals survive solely on water changes? Yes, but I don't think they will grow as quickly as a coral that is being spot fed occasionally. Just my opinion. Don't ask me for links or statistics.

Can you add to their nutrient intake by supplementing with feedings? IMO yes. Just don't overdo it or you risk "burning" your little saltwater plants.

ESH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Left to right: Warpaint, Master, ultra blue. The master just got added today, hopefully I can get it to expand as much as the warpaint. Colors on these are incredible. Image was taken without any filters. Lighting is under radion G4's. Under filters the red's turn orange.

Last edited:

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can you write how you saved it?lost few scolys....
I'll play.....

Bought this guy 2 years ago from my LFS who said it was a tank rescue. It was very small and half it's skeleton was showing. When I lost all my corals(still no idea what happened) a year or so back, this and my torch are the only ones who made it.

It's now a stunning piece.

When I bought it for only 20$
nM1qaCxl.jpg

And today...Not a great pic, but it loves it under this overhang.
MIZg9Lgl.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back