Official Moseleya Coral Show Off Thread

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why isnt this coral more popular? They are gorgeous! I just picked up one today at my LFS! Its huge too, about 6 x 5! I paid 120.00. I hope thats a good price, actually I dont care because its worth 120.00 to me! Its the green and purple variety that looks to be very popular in this thread! I wish I knew how to add pics! I have never figured out how to get them off my phone onto the computer! Can anyone tell me?

I had been looking for sand bed corals where I used to have my long tentacle plate and lobo's, trachys or wilsoni's. Not sure which but were gorgeous! All the sandbed corals like scolys and all are so expensive so this coral fit the bill perfectly! I have seen some pretty lobos and welsi on ebay but the big ones are crazy expensive and I hear it takes forever for a small one to grow out! I had a huge one from unique corals that I got on a live sale pretty cheap!

Someone tell me how to add pics so I can show it off! LOL

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the same one during fallow (w/o fish)
2021-10-02 15.24.17.jpg

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you happen to own one of these corals please share a picture here.Feel free to share your experiences and husbandry suggestions as well. The piece below came from a local Oregon vender.It's seems to be relatively easy to care for and not overly aggressive.

DSCF8151.jpg
Cool, sadly I doubt I'll be able to buy any in Ireland.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is almost dead! What type of flow do they like and light? I had it in a low flow area in back of tank. the front sand bed was taken by a bunch of new frags I just got! I wish I had of put that coral in front now because It was gorgeous. I should say is gorgeous because I am not counting it out yet! It only has about half of the skin remaining but it was never puffy like these I have seen! It skin was tight to the skeleton and I never saw a feeding response!

Should I frag it or dip in coral rx? I have iodine dip on the way. I should have just checked if my lfs had it because it wont be here until monday or later! Anyone have any frags? I need another if this dosnt make it! It was huge too, neon green and purple.! Had a unique shape! Kind of oblong! It had 2 big separate centers than smaller babies all around it! Simply gorgeous!

Aquatic Jewels

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I finally had someone identify mine. Picked it up at my lfs, (he said it was a Pectinia). I have mine perched on a rock ledge about half way up my tank in medium indirect flow under led lights, 80% blue, 70% uv, 10% white, 5% red/green.

Attachments

• 20230328_144752.jpg
    20230328_144752.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 44

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you happen to own one of these corals please share a picture here.Feel free to share your experiences and husbandry suggestions as well. The piece below came from a local Oregon vender.It's seems to be relatively easy to care for and not overly aggressive.

DSCF8151.jpg

Thank you zesty! Here's a updated picture.

DSCF9234.jpg

These are not Moseleya; they are Merulinidae sp. Moseleya have much larger corallites and are cerioid, not plocoid.

Zero_Cool

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this one from my LFS. She had it in a nano for quite some time. Tried Reef Roids and got a feeding response (you can still see a few of the feeding tentacles out in the lower polyps. Going to try after dark another day. Really unique animal.

I have seen them with fluffier polyps but this is how it has looked at the shop for the last month.

20230606_200227.jpg

Koty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got this one from my LFS. She had it in a nano for quite some time. Tried Reef Roids and got a feeding response (you can still see a few of the feeding tentacles out in the lower polyps. Going to try after dark another day. Really unique animal.

I have seen them with fluffier polyps but this is how it has looked at the shop for the last month.
Feed at night when the tentacles are out

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning on picking one up this week (if it's still there) I'll keep you updated! Has to be one of my all-time favorite corals!

encrustingacro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a prism favia...

That one might be an acan bowerbanki
no, that's a Moseleya, not Homophyllia bowerbanki. You can tell by the large calices and distinctive coloration. The top one is a prism Favia (Dipsastraea rosaria/Favites (para)flexuosa), though.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am getting another one. Does anyone keep theres on sand bed? definitely looks like a sandbed coral with the flatbottoms but my last one died on sand bed and I read they dont like being on sandbed. Wondering if I put some big flat frag plugs under it if it will do well down there!

Appreciate any advice. maybe the flow as just to low on the sand bed wondering if I should try it with a wavemaker lower because I love them plus I have some credit I want to use for one!

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 39 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%

Back