official SCA owners thread/club

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What you guys paying for your 150 rimless? They have a eurobrace 150 for 849 on deal of the day but going from a red sea reefer not sure I'll like the eurobrace as much
I bought my 150 center overflow eurobraced for $999 in May of 2018. This sucks to see I could have saved $150. I didn't have it wet until 11/1/18 so I could have waited!

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my 120G SCA tank and just found that the thin foam board that ships with it is supposed to be used as the pad underneath the tank.
It seems very slim and flimsy and I am a little worried about it even though I have a 3/4 inch red oak plywood board at the top of my stand.

Did you guys use the provided board or did you get some thicker pad like a yoga mat, etc...?
If you used it, how has it held up?

Thank you
I emailed Steve about using a 1/2" thick Yoga mat and he said it would be an improvement so that's what I used.

Matt Carden

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the standard 150. It is currently in a state of repair and redesign. For more info or progress check out my build thread https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/matts-sca-150-repair-and-redesign.659967/

I will post up here once I have it wet again.

Before it got broken during my cross country move:
20190826_172511.jpg

Now
20191107_162503.jpg

Tank repair complete:
20200119_164839.jpg
20200119_164906.jpg

Last edited:

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
correct 1/4" plate beveled at the top of each piece, no sharp edges and smooth flow for bubble trap.
I like the sump. I haven't set my tank up yet, but using the SCA sump on a 40 breeder.
I may sell the 50 cube to go towards something larger, longer.
If you do or did sell the 50 cube, how much and what comes with it?

Dj City

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 180 PNP.
I purchased it last year (Feb 2019).
I have all my equipment, lights, everything. I have not been able to start the build yet due to a very broken leg. Some idiot ran me off the road while I was riding my motorcycle.

I am just about ready to get the build started (I hope).

Tank seems to be very well built. Stand is very solid but the doors flex a bit. I'm trying to figure out how to straighten them so they both close flush with the stand.

The sump seems well made but I did move a baffle or two so I could have the space I wanted for larger ato section, slightly smaller skimmer section, and just large enough to fit my return pump and manifold pump.

The build thread contributor badge takes you to the 180 sca build thread.
I look forward to getting this started next month.

Why-Me

Been going against the grain since I was a sapling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, looking good. How much you paid and what came with it?
I bought the SCA 50 PNP kit with upgraded solid wood rustic gray stand, their acrylic overflow cover and free lift gate service for shipping.

I forgot what I paid for it, I think it was $1,500 including the free upgrades.
Which are:
Cabinet upgrade $180
Overflow cover $30
Lift gate service $40

I talked to steve through email and he gave me the upgrades for free.
I can't promise you he will do that for you or if he does that anymore.

I ended up using the sump, light and powerhead on my 40b.
But they're great and perfectly sized for that 50 cube they came with.
The skimmer I haven't used, I have been lucky enough to have 2 different skimmers at 2 different times pop up for superb can't miss prices so I jumped on those.
The return pump I use in my saltwater bin for my mixing station, not a bad pump, but I'd just buy the tank from SCA next time.
I love the stand and the color and rustic rough sawn lumber BUT next time I will build my own stand because I can customize it anyway I want. (Just me being picky) The upgraded stands are nice.
Same tank without the lights and powerhead, reeflink etc.
I'd definitely order another SCA tank.
And my next (larger) tank may be another SCA.

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the SCA 50 PNP kit with upgraded solid wood rustic gray stand, their acrylic overflow cover and free lift gate service for shipping.

I forgot what I paid for it, I think it was $1,500 including the free upgrades.
Which are:
Cabinet upgrade $180
Overflow cover $30
Lift gate service $40

I talked to steve through email and he gave me the upgrades for free.
I can't promise you he will do that for you or if he does that anymore.

I ended up using the sump, light and powerhead on my 40b.
But they're great and perfectly sized for that 50 cube they came with.
The skimmer I haven't used, I have been lucky enough to have 2 different skimmers at 2 different times pop up for superb can't miss prices so I jumped on those.
The return pump I use in my saltwater bin for my mixing station, not a bad pump, but I'd just buy the tank from SCA next time.
I love the stand and the color and rustic rough sawn lumber BUT next time I will build my own stand because I can customize it anyway I want. (Just me being picky) The upgraded stands are nice.
Same tank without the lights and powerhead, reeflink etc.
I'd definitely order another SCA tank.
And my next (larger) tank may be another SCA.
Sounds like a solid tank! I got a 125 and thinking of getting a side tank. Is this the only tank you got or?

Fishingandreefing

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a SCA 50 and found that back a couple of year, the lowest I have seen on sale was $600. During Black Friday of 2019 was $699. Wonder if there’s any $600 deals so I can snatch one.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never knew this thread existed!

Got my 80G cube a couple years back. Bought the PNP system(tank, stand, sump, return pump, and skimmer), but quickly upgraded the return, and skimmer. I cut out and replaced all the baffles in the sump to better suit my needs. All of this is in my build thread back on RC. I got my 80 cube for the dame price as you guys are paying for the 50G cube. When I called Steve was out of stock on the 50G cube, but had a 80 cube sitting on the floor, he gave it to me for the same price!

I just wish steve had the custom all wood stands when I bought mine. The MDF panels are starting to fall apart after years of getting wet.

I would most certainly give steve my business again if and when I ever decide I need another or upgraded tank. I've had a few issues over the years and Steve has always been top notch to deal with.

20200126_151813.jpg

[ATTACH type="full"l]1395219[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 20200126_151823.jpg
    20200126_151823.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 96

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 27 49.1%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 29 52.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 10 18.2%
  • None.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.5%
Back