Oh man! Freaking Out!

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in a panic now.

I positioned an old tri-color (A. valida) frag next to my glass so I could play with the macro lens on my phone. Wish I hadn't now!

What the heck is it? They're tiny! And I mean tiny; not really visible (to me) without magnification. Seems to be a crustacean, with a yellow body and red on its head.

#Lionfish Lair
#reefsquad

Last edited:
OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! Not cool.

RED BUGS!

Studying up now.
Ive only seen them on the one piece so far, but have many unremovable smooth skinned acro's in the tank.

Curios on the most contemporary medicine and dose if someone can point me.

Strange, no notable damage on any corals, but looking much closer now.

Last edited:

happyhourhero

Burner of the Tips
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, they are a pest and you have some work ahead of you. They are not the worst thing in the world but be aware that there are cases where the red bugs were keeping aefw in check so if you pull the frags and dip, look for the worms too.

A huge bright side to this is you just produced probably the best footage of red bugs most people in the hobby have ever seen.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SNAP!!!!

Wow! May I make some still shots from that video for the hitchhikers guide? Credit to you, of course!

I've got a much much better vid for you. Give me a bit to upload it. My home ISP stinks!

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In this vid you can actually see the translucent sub-adults.

What really bums me out is the idea of killing off what is surly a vast and predominantly beneficial array of copepods, amphipods, and much more, all for the sake of this one parasitic species.

I mean, what's going to happen for the span of time all the copepods and amphipods are gone? Who's to say I'll get them all, or, that I won't re-introduce them as I repopulate with parvocalanus and grammarus?

Man.....

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What really bums me out is the idea of killing off what is surly a vast and predominantly beneficial array of copepods, amphipods, and much more, all for the sake of this one parasitic species.

I mean, what's going to happen for the span of time all the copepods and amphipods are gone? Who's to say I'll get them all, or, that I won't re-introduce them as I repopulate with parvocalanus and grammarus?

Man.....

I think a picking fish would work as well. (Not sure what fish you have) Many use dragonface pipe fish for red bug control.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joe Yaiullo treated his tank for AFEW by blasting the corals regularly and letting the rest of the critters in system eat them.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Man.....

Do you have a population of Parvocalanus spp. copepods in your reef tank? They are actually a calanoid copepod that spends their entire life out to sea. They have no benthic tendencies and can get killed quite easily by heavy water current, filters, pumps and aeration. I'm sorry for asking, but that really jumped out at me when you said that. I've been working with Parvocalanus crassirostris for years now and I have never heard of anyone getting them to populate a reef tank. Did someone tell you that they could make it in a reef tank? I do have to say that they make a great food, but I would never claim that they can live in a reef tank. They aren't even easy to culture; requiring live algae at a specific density to maximize reproduction.

I'm curious, as you can tell.

Chad

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back