OP
CastAway

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chad. To clarify, I dose my tank with the parvo pretty often. I cannot say they are sustained therein, as my experience (from past employment raising them) is that they require far far more phyto than I'd be willing to add to my tank.

Definitively, not sustained in my tank. [emoji53]

On this note however, I do suspect there are varieties in my tank that are reproducing, that I have no idea are even there. Thoughts on that Chad?

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Chad. To clarify, I dose my tank with the parvo pretty often. I cannot say they are sustained therein, as my experience (from past employment raising them) is that they require far far more phyto than I'd be willing to add to my tank.

Definitively, not sustained in my tank. [emoji53]

Thanks for that clarification! I appreciate it. I know people that have worked with live feeds for a long time that find Parvocalanus to be challenging in a separate culture. I can't imagine telling the average hobbyist that they will reproduce in a reef tank (refugium or not).

Cheers sir!

-Chad

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is going in my hitchhikers guide. I know this isn't pleasant, but it's very interesting stuff. I'm sorry if at any point I seem overly excited... I figure it's probably not so "cool" when it's your own tank.

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some more video:

They are on every acro Ive inspected with the exception of several Cali Tort frags. They're on my pride Red Dragon colony. Bummer.

Anyone have an Interceptor/vet hook-up here in TN? [emoji6]

SuperDragon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man! Not cool.

RED BUGS!

Studying up now.
Ive only seen them on the one piece so far, but have many unremovable smooth skinned across in the tank.

Curios on the most contemporary medicine and dose if someone can point me.

Strange, no notable damage on any corals, but looking much closer now.

Natural control is very self limiting, but still recommended. I had RB and AEFW and had 2 dragonfaced pipefish, melasurus, six line and they cannot keep up. Quarantine is your best bet naturally. I move all acros to QT and let main tank run free of acros for 8 weeks. RB/AEFW or acro pests die off with not food source. I have even encountered black AEFW that are hellish.
Then deal with them in QT, otherwise dosing "interceptor" is a option in a large tank where corals can't be removed, but that does not mean other pests don't live in there. Prevention is to frag acros off of plugs before the base, remove all plugs, dip all corals depending of pests, remount all frags and QT/observation. Question everything you put in.
I was able to restart my tank in Feb '17 and today Apri '17 my "test frag" red dragon acro is growing well. Godspeed. I won the battle and so can you.

20170205_102527.jpg
20170408_184740.jpg

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is going in my hitchhikers guide. I know this isn't pleasant, but it's very interesting stuff. I'm sorry if at any point I seem overly excited... I figure it's probably not so "cool" when it's your own tank.

Cool! Please send me a link if or when you do Renee!

Although I'm bummed, it has inspired me, sort of.

I hope to plan and script my treatment plan and document results. Experimental Design is not my thing, but, I'd like to be smart about it and turn this into something positive. It's these experiences that do the best teaching after all.

If you have any input, direction, references, or whatever Renee, please feel free to share. [emoji6]

Last edited:

seaplane

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question,,,Do red bugs only feed on SPS? Will they die off without them?

fragit

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What a great couple videos Jeff, and what a great bummer. So sorry your dealing with this. I'm following along to see what course of action you take. I seem to remember reading a thread about them here and the reefer was using a very large dose of interceptor on them. It may have been aefw though that I'm thinking of. Keep us posted on your progress.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for sharing this and sorry that it's happening! I know you'll beat them though! Can't wait to see the treatment process.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In 2012, Interceptor was pulled from the shelves and has been very hard to come by. I did come across a different medication called Doramectin that may be a suitable alternative, but that remains to be proven by more than a few hobbyists- Melev

Thought that maybe worth some brain activity lol.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a major recall, it did make a comeback. But I can't find out what they changed and wether or not it had an effect on it's usefulness.

Lionfish Lair

Renee
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a major recall, it did make a comeback. But I can't find out what they changed and wether or not it had an effect on it's usefulness.

It wasn't a recall. The plant that manufactured it closed.

"Vets around the country, including Kitsune's, were not able to restock Novartis products apparently due to the fact that the company temporarily closed it's NE processing plant starting in December 2011. This, of course, was the plant that produced Interceptor, Sentinel, Program, and Clomicalm in the US. The plant was shut down in order to preform system upgrades and other improvements. While I believe that keeping things up to date is a good thing, it's unfortunate that Novartis couldn't figure out a way to continue to provide veterinarians and consumers with their popular products such as pet heartworm medications."

They reopened their plant with the same product.

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wasn't a recall. The plant that manufactured it closed.

"Vets around the country, including Kitsune's, were not able to restock Novartis products apparently due to the fact that the company temporarily closed it's NE processing plant starting in December 2011. This, of course, was the plant that produced Interceptor, Sentinel, Program, and Clomicalm in the US. The plant was shut down in order to preform system upgrades and other improvements. While I believe that keeping things up to date is a good thing, it's unfortunate that Novartis couldn't figure out a way to continue to provide veterinarians and consumers with their popular products such as pet heartworm medications."

They reopened their plant with the same product.

After rereading, and looking at a different source you are correct, tank you for you're clarification!

OP
OP
CastAway

CastAway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question,,,Do red bugs only feed on SPS? Will they die off without them?

What I've read so far indicates Acropora only.

However, I found none on my A tortusa frags (Cali tort) or oddly to me not on my A. enchinata's (Ice fire & Hawkins) which are "smooth skinned" acro's. None on my pink lemonade either, yet.

Could be very early in my own infestation however. I'm fragging some of every colony to inspect and test prior to and throughout treatment.

Whatever seems to escape infestation, I'll be sure to list.

082494ddbbc894b95c1764ab150798bb.jpg

Another vid

Last edited:

sk8elenex92

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just dealt with red bugs. Not to big of a deal but what some one said the AEFW may appear and I have seen others say the same. The next day I seen a AEFE when I've never seen one before.
I have a LOT of interceptor and spectrum pills PM me.
NOW I did NOT use the pills I used DR gs coral dip treatment. I Dosed the entire tank. Not one red bug left and not one snail or crab dead. All the sps looked so good and I have not done another treatment yet. It's been 4 weeks now.
73c83feb893891a069b5c7ab1aad7765.jpg

3mm3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, they are a pest and you have some work ahead of you. They are not the worst thing in the world but be aware that there are cases where the red bugs were keeping aefw in check so if you pull the frags and dip, look for the worms too.

A huge bright side to this is you just produced probably the best footage of red bugs most people in the hobby have ever seen.

Without a doubt, best videos I've ever seen of them

BluewaterLa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice videos showing excellent detail on these tiny pest.
Anyone else think red bugs look REALLY similar to regular fleas on mammals ?
As far as body shape and their legs / appendages

Sps fleas !

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back