oh no another fish stocking question post

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am in the process of cycling my Tank its a 220.6 water box (170 gal DT with 40 gal sump)(72.3" × 25.3" × 23.6")
Plan on it being a mixed reef.
I am trying to figure out my fish stocking list. So far my list is a Purple tang, pair of clownfish (mocha gladiator), yellow eye white tail Kole tang, yellow tang, lawnmower blennie, yellow watchman goby with pistol shrimp, Starry goby, carpenters wrasse, longnose hawkfish, and a group of blue green chromis(think 9), copperband butterfly, blue mandarin pair wife and daughter wanted a blue ribbon eel but I said no due planning on having the smaller fish and plan on having cleaner shrimp. does anyone see any problems with my list? trying to make sure they will all be ok together most I have read they will be ok. then I need to get a plan or which order to get the fish. will be a long process I am QT everything that I get. So will be a min of 30-60 days (depending on if they are sick and need treated) between groups of fish. QT tank I have is a 25gal all in one. have already ordered the clown fish. Tanks for looking :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like an awesome list good call on saying no to the eel. 6’tank you could get a larger tang species in place of the kole. Ihave a blue eye and love it but will get a chocolate or powder blue for sure when i upgrade.if you are QT then add the tang last. Start a build thread!

ilikefish69

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1661908599664.jpeg

Achillles tang

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem but go with 6 chromis and through in a fox face. And no to the copper band. Not unless you are sure you can keep it alive.

OP
OP
Dreminon

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And no to the copper band. Not unless you are sure you can keep it alive.
Im retired. this is my therapy tank (for ptsd) will 100% be looking at it multiple times a day. have no issues whatso ever of thinking I will be able to keep it alive. Already have plans for it if it is a picky eater.

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I am in the process of cycling my Tank its a 220.6 water box (170 gal DT with 40 gal sump)(72.3" × 25.3" × 23.6")
I am trying to figure out my fish stocking list. So far my list is a Purple tang, pair of clownfish (mocha gladiator), yellow eye white tail Kole tang, yellow tang, lawnmower blennie, yellow watchman goby with pistol shrimp, Starry goby, carpenters wrasse, longnose hawkfish, and a group of blue green chromis(think 9), copperband butterfly, blue mandarin pair wife and daughter wanted a blue ribbon eel but I said no due planning on having the smaller fish and plan on having cleaner shrimp. does anyone see any problems with my list? trying to make sure they will all be ok together most I have read they will be ok. then I need to get a plan or which order to get the fish. will be a long process I am QT everything that I get. So will be a min of 30-60 days (depending on if they are sick and need treated) between groups of fish. QT tank I have is a 25gal all in one. have already ordered the clown fish. Tanks for looking :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
Looks like a great list already. Throwing in some eels with this setup would have definitely caused trouble. +1 on putting the tangs last. Specifically kole last, after the zebrasoma yellow. Acanthuridae are known to be likelier aggressors in the tang family. Best of luck!

Screwgunner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried 2 of them . They are very beautiful fish. But I could not keep them alive . But that was years ago.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Start with non - tangs, then add Kole, then purple, then Yellow and chromis- limit to 6 as you have a bit of fish on list, some with growth potential. Hawk will eat any ornamental shrimp

lulubap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with non - tangs, then add Kole, then purple, then Yellow and chromis- limit to 6 as you have a bit of fish on list, some with growth potential. Hawk will eat any ornamental shrimp
Is it specifically the long nose? I've read and been told it's a case-by-case matter, which also may include the size of the shrimp in relativity to the fish. Also considering cleaner shrimps may not be all that ornamental as they tend to serve some sort of purpose to fishes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Is it specifically the long nose? I've read and been told it's a case-by-case matter, which also may include the size of the shrimp in relativity to the fish. Also considering cleaner shrimps may not be all that ornamental as they tend to serve some sort of purpose to fishes.
mainly falco/spotted hawk and flame hawk

OP
OP
Dreminon

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so ill drop it down to 6 chromis. thinking about the foxface probally leave that to the wifes decision. have been reading more on the longnose hawkfish looks like its a 50/50 shot if it will go after the cleaner shrimp. has a better chance not to if the shrimp is in the tank first. So ill have to cross that bridge in 6 months or more on if I get the longnose or not.(really like both which makes it hard)

OP
OP
Dreminon

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wave1:pair of clownfish (mocha gladiator)
Wave2: lawnmower blennie, yellow watchman goby with pistol shrimp
Wave3:carpenters wrasse, longnose hawkfish
Wave4:magnificent foxface, copperband butterfly
Wave5:Starry goby, blue mandarin pair
Wave6:reading conflicting info on which tangs to go with first or all together will figure it out.
Purple tang, yellow eye white tail Kole tang, yellow tang,
and the group of blue green chromis Don't think im going to do anymore as much as I like the looks of them everything I have read points them them being ok for awhile then they kill each other off until only one or two left which I do not like.

Any changes anyone can think of?

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave the mandarin out unless you are going to grow your own pods before the tank is mature. Foxface is a great idea. What about lyretails instead of the chromis? Maybe a Starcki damsel

Makubex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need advice on my stocking list also, is been bumped

OP
OP
Dreminon

Dreminon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would leave the mandarin out unless you are going to grow your own pods before the tank is mature. Foxface is a great idea. What about lyretails instead of the chromis? Maybe a Starcki damsel
by the time all the others have been QT in front of the mandarin tank will be 10 months old be plenty of time for pobs. lyretails seem to have same issues as chromis that I have read.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
by the time all the others have been QT in front of the mandarin tank will be 10 months old be plenty of time for pobs. lyretails seem to have same issues as chromis that I have read.
Ok. Didn't realize your time-line. I have never been able to keep chromis. They always die one-by-one. My lyretails have been with me a little over 1.5 years. Much sturdier fish

Wrassefan78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im retired. this is my therapy tank (for ptsd) will 100% be looking at it multiple times a day. have no issues whatso ever of thinking I will be able to keep it alive. Already have plans for it if it is a picky eater.

As for the copper band butterfly make sure you buy from a place that quarantines and at least gets it eating. TSM, Among the Reef, Ocean Devotion, and Marine Collectors. This will be your best path to success.

Anthony

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok so ill drop it down to 6 chromis. thinking about the foxface probally leave that to the wifes decision. have been reading more on the longnose hawkfish looks like its a 50/50 shot if it will go after the cleaner shrimp. has a better chance not to if the shrimp is in the tank first. So ill have to cross that bridge in 6 months or more on if I get the longnose or not.(really like both which makes it hard)
My experience with cleaner shrimp they can be pests. Think you would be happier with the fish if you have to choose. Also, foxface is a great fish. Just imho

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not the op but trying to add to the conversation can't you get a mandarin from biota or similar that comes eating prepared foods?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 22.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.2%
Back