Oh no!

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My three PJs looked fine yesterday but I just came home today and noticed one with missing chunks from their fins, one looks like a mark on their eye and another one looked fuzzy.

I have two clowns, a starry, a midas, a blue tang, a baby mandarin, a fire shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, and maybe a pistol shrimp if it's alive (i never see it). Is this just tank aggression (I stopped feeding a lot and only feed small once or twice a day now instead of micro feedings every hour using the Avast Marine and maybe they're just mad and hungry or is it some disease? I hope it's not the latter. Thank you for the help!

1679962961730.png

1679963029899.png

1679963049243.png
1679963012158.png

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In addition to being beat up, the fish looks pretty thin as though it has been harassed for a while. It could be from other fish, or the pj’s themselves.
Is the fish fuzzy in person or is that just the camera quality? I can’t rule out a bacterial issue (as a result of injuries).

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was going to suggest harassment as well - I would watch carefully for infection. You could consider having a hospital tank - or at least somewhere to put either a victim or aggressor temporarily - good luck. PS - I'm assuming there is no reason to consider disease, flukes, etc. ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My three PJs looked fine yesterday but I just came home today and noticed one with missing chunks from their fins, one looks like a mark on their eye and another one looked fuzzy.

I have two clowns, a starry, a midas, a blue tang, a baby mandarin, a fire shrimp, a cleaner shrimp, and maybe a pistol shrimp if it's alive (i never see it). Is this just tank aggression (I stopped feeding a lot and only feed small once or twice a day now instead of micro feedings every hour using the Avast Marine and maybe they're just mad and hungry or is it some disease? I hope it's not the latter. Thank you for the help!

1679962961730.png

1679963029899.png

1679963049243.png
1679963012158.png
Looks like a bacterial issue showing both dropsy and fin and tail rot. I recommend quarantine and treatment with Seachem kanaplex for all three and Added aeration during treatment.
This may be water quality related and assure your ammonia and nitrate are Not elevated and verify with reliable test kits

OP
OP
mOUs3y

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all for the replies. I just tested the ammonia. It's been two years since I last tested it so I had to read the instructions on how to do it.

1679968207708.png

I'm going to test the NO3 now with a Hanna HR.

A little backstory. I had only 4 fish until about 4 months ago. 8 months ago I used Chemiclean after trying for a few months of trying to clean up my cyano outbreak. 4 months ago I added the 3 PJs, blenny, and midas. I haven't gotten any new coral or even macro. I bought all my fish from dr. reef.

I hope that ammonia test is yellow... I had to go outside to take a picture away from my 2700k home lights.

OP
OP
mOUs3y

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NO3 Hanna HR came out to 0.0. I swear, I try to feed more to get NO3 up to like 10 but I get cyano so i stop feeding too much. I guess the small patches of cyano again is taking my No3.

As for the fish being fuzzy, I'll try to take a picture tomorrow when the lights are off. To be safe if it is dropsy or water quality, i'll perform 15% water changes every day for a week. Thank you all for the posts.

OP
OP
mOUs3y

mOUs3y

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me, it looks beat to heck rather than diseased.

Ammonia looks like zero to me, with no hint of green.
I wonder who it could be and why only after 4 months. I guess I’ll have to put a video camera on them to see. I see the royal gramma mad a few times but my money is on the clowns. They did move over to their side of the tank recently but I see no eggs. Wonder if I didn’t put the wave makers in the same exact place and changed the flow.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you all for the replies. I just tested the ammonia. It's been two years since I last tested it so I had to read the instructions on how to do it.

1679968207708.png

I'm going to test the NO3 now with a Hanna HR.

A little backstory. I had only 4 fish until about 4 months ago. 8 months ago I used Chemiclean after trying for a few months of trying to clean up my cyano outbreak. 4 months ago I added the 3 PJs, blenny, and midas. I haven't gotten any new coral or even macro. I bought all my fish from dr. reef.

I hope that ammonia test is yellow... I had to go outside to take a picture away from my 2700k home lights.
It is yellow (0)

Isla_Nut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My vote on the aggressor would be the midas blenny. Meanest fish I've ever owned! Mine took huge chunks out of the other fishes fins & killed 2 fish. I finally caught it & took it back to my lfs. Beautify fish, but unless you get lucky on temperament they're just plain murderous.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 68 45.0%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 70 46.4%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 13 8.6%
Back