Ok dredded clown question: mixing clownfish

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 standard Osc Clowns in my 100 gallon cube. I know they say you cant mix species like maroons with osc , however I was adding another anemone and wanted to get a 2nd pair to host. The other 2 clowns never leave their spot with their anemone. which is on the back right of the tank , they only move to feed. Can someone please help.

Thanks,

scsdukefan408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never a good idea to add two pairs to that small of a tank...you maybe in some trouble with females fighting

OP
OP
bucksfan1976

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gallon cube, they would only be 3 ft max apart, as I would place the 2nd anemone on the opposite side of the tank

I always thought that if they were the same species there would be less of a chance of the fighting.

OP
OP
bucksfan1976

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One last question, I was informed that the picking may happen if the new ones are smaller, what if I ordered Large ones. so with them being the dominate size or close to the same size there wouldnt be the "your smaller I will Kill you" thought

180galreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 180g and tried two pairs and it didnt work. Although your current pair stays in their one spot the still see the tank as thiers. They will most likely chase your new clowns every where. It may settle down when they both host but who knows how long it will take the new pair to host. I have friends with 4-6 clowns in a tank but they were all put in at the same time and same size, eventually he too will have to take some out.

OP
OP
bucksfan1976

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea Im hearing so many different thoughts on this, ive seen a 65 gallon with 6 clowns all added different time. I might just pass, I really want some new clowns..... LOL

180galreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a gamble, young ones can be kept together but as they age they start choosing their spot and get more aggressive.

OP
OP
bucksfan1976

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea the 2 I got now the biggest is 3 inches. The female, they are only agressive if anything gets near their anemone. I was looking at 2 3 inch black and white occ clowns. But still like you said its a gamble. they could be best friends, I have a small Hang on the side refugium, I could put them in there for a couple of days just to see

Just hang it where they are inside the tank

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just kiddin'. I've got four in my tiny cube.

Liquid has spoken and so it shall be!!!! LOL Im not going to get anymore, I think im gonna hold off til I can get some platimnums then ill remove the regulars

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope... Had two and introduced the others over time. Had five but borrowed one for a different tank. I never had any problems really... I followed the rule of the newest clown must be the largest clown in the tank. There will be violence at first but if the new guys big he'll be fine. I tried to break this rule once because maroon clowns have a rep as being bad azes.

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two are a true "pair" of ocellaris, one black occ, and a maroon. They all host different anemones. Even the alpha female, black occ, sorta shares her carpet with the other female occ.. U can see my tank in this ridiculous video I made of my seahorses.... The maroon and her nem are on the opposite side of the tank...

http://youtu.be/LV-mg7UztvA

OP
OP
bucksfan1976

bucksfan1976

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cool, I have 2 orange basic ones, the pair I was getting was going to be black ones but still occ

Liquid360

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are the same size or smaller feel confident it'll be a slaughter.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back