ok, forget adding more blue to what I have, I need opinions on new lighting...

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided not to keep the PC lighting and change it up completely.

I want something DIY and was wondering if the initial cash outlay for enough to do Monti Cap, Dig and slimer was comparible with T5 and LED.

There are pros and cons to both and I need your help in weighing it out.

T5 pros

better color selection
easier to DIY
known growth over long term

T5 cons

bulb life (compared to LED)
size
more heat (than T5)

LED pros

less heat
less electricity consumption
nice shimmer

LED cons

Harder to DIY
less color selection
unknown growth over long term

So, let's hear some input!

Thanks,
Steven

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both are intriguing options. Personally, I am a T5 guy. I have seen many SPS / LPS (mature) tanks that have been grown with T5's. Since LED's are still so new, it's hard to find any pics of mature colonies grown under LED's. While the cost to run, less heat, and longer bulb life are pro's for the LED's, I would go with what is proven to work at this point. I may try LED's down the road but will let others test the waters to see what type of growth they can get long term with LED's. I would go with DIY T5's and find the right bulb combo that best fits your eye. Just my 2 cents....

OP
OP
dantimdad

dantimdad

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I found out that it's cheap to go LED in comparison. If I start with a 12 led bare bones kit from nanotuners and do 6 per side on two of the 4"x12" heatsinks from heatsinksusa, I can get away with $160. I can run this along with my 2x96 strip light on the 46 bowfront, then add a second setup in a few months and do away with the PC fixture. If I went 2x39w T5 it would probably cost about $200 including bulbs and wouldn't fit alongside the current striplight. Then, I would have to add another 2x39w setup later on. So, between the $80 savings, the size and the electricity costs overall, I think I will go LED but am still on the fence.

I also need to know if the adhesive/conductive pads that come with it are enough to hold the leds on or should I go with arctic paste?

What do you think?

Steven

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 178 72.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back