Trying out multiple lights types on new build

kevensquint

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, so after more than 30 years using Metal Halide, VHO, T5 ...and a few failed trys with LED. I have decided to put my MH's aside since it's becoming complicated to find bulbs and ballasts. I have built my best guess at what mix of new age lights will give me decent growth and color.
I Installed 3 Radion XR15 G6 over my 190 shallow and Knew right away its not enough. So I added T5's ATI blue+ either side. This would have worked IMO. But now I'm bored seeing that there is no shimmer. So I added 2 Kessil 360x's between the G6's. I'm posting simply because I feel this set up will give good results and the look is really good. Noting that ATI blue plus have been an excellent light over my tanks throughout the years, people seem to get nice results from Radion G6's and the kessils are for shimmer plus the lower end of the blue spectrum. On paper should be a winner. I'll post pics again in 6 months or so.
20230903_212843.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, so after more than 30 years using Metal Halide, VHO, T5 ...and a few failed trys with LED. I have decided to put my MH's aside since it's becoming complicated to find bulbs and ballasts. I have built my best guess at what mix of new age lights will give me decent growth and color.
I Installed 3 Radion XR15 G6 over my 190 shallow and Knew right away its not enough. So I added T5's ATI blue+ either side. This would have worked IMO. But now I'm bored seeing that there is no shimmer. So I added 2 Kessil 360x's between the G6's. I'm posting simply because I feel this set up will give good results and the look is really good. Noting that ATI blue plus have been an excellent light over my tanks throughout the years, people seem to get nice results from Radion G6's and the kessils are for shimmer plus the lower end of the blue spectrum. On paper should be a winner. I'll post pics again in 6 months or so.
20230903_212843.jpg
Curious to see the pictures from 6 months from now!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
20230903_212843.jpg
Many have faced this situation and I would consider supplementing the radions with either Two Orphek OR3 Blue Plus or sky blue or a couple of noopsyche K7 Pro which have deep penetration and excellent shimmer. Also adding a power head and directing towards tank surface will increase shimmer

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 154 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.2%
Back