!!OK GANG WHO'S USING "NO GLITZ "OVER AT BATTLECORALS???? LETS RE-VISIT THIS INTERESTING OPTION. I WANT FEEDBACK!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Figure out how to go john carpenter they live style. Normal website with normal pics but if you buy battleglasses you can see a generic black and white website that just has labels like consume, buy, obey
Dude, I was raised on that one! Good stuff my man. "battleglasses" could be a thing here. never one to shy away from new frontiers...

Paul Hickin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are asking yourself what the heck is he talking about, well then you may be missing out one my best gimmicks ever.

For years I've seen post after post about people who have had enough of the "name game". I'm Sure you know what I mean by that and I am right there with you. Believe me. So much in fact that I implemented a feature with the last site update a couple years ago with an option to literally remove all the "silly" names in favor of actual scientific ones. There was a whole contest about it and stuff a while back where we tried to ID as many as possible. Was fun.

Anyway, in case you aren't familiar with the No Glitz option, to access it all you have to do is hit the" EnableNo Glitz" button on any of the product pages.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 4.44.00 PM.png

Doing so will bring you to this page next, to confirm your decision.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 4.36.56 PM.png

Great option, Thank you!

Upon confirmation you will be in No Glitz mode where all products are listed by their scientific names where ever positive ID's were possible. And that's pretty much it. A gimmick to be sure. But for the purists, a lifeline to coral purchasing sanity.

Screenshot 2023-06-09 at 4.44.14 PM.png

So back to the focus of this post. Anyone actually using this feature, and if so what do you think? If not, tell us why, or perhaps what else you'd prefer to see.

all feedback welcome. if you have to be brash it's OK I can take it. It's been a few years now and I'd like some honest real world opinions on this one.

StatelineReefer

Reef Safe With Caution
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dude, I was raised on that one! Good stuff my man. "battleglasses" could be a thing here. never one to shy away from new frontiers...
We're 106 miles away from Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, a half a box of acropora, it's dark, and we're wearing Battleglasses.

Mission Blues Brother GIF

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No glitz is cool for growth patterns and such but I’ve gotta say I really get a kick out of how you come to name some of these. I’d like to see you keep both options but if I had to pick I’d say “GIVE ME GLITZ!!!!”
Same! I like the names! It helps me know what I've bought because let's face it different color variations within a species can't really be described with just the scientific name.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Names are cool to find a piece or track a piece if that’s even done any more.. people forgot they once had a true meaning with linage! The new generation finds something close to a big name and just calls it that! The prices that came with names is what really ruined it for everyone.. not the names in themselves if that makes sense haha!

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the name, I like the species name. Why I have to switch between two modes to see one or the other I don't know. Should just have the species name on the name page. Then again I don't think many other sellers list a species name if know.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I like the name, I like the species name. Why I have to switch between two modes to see one or the other I don't know. Should just have the species name on the name page. Then again I don't think many other sellers list a species name if know.
Thanks for the input the idea really is that I’m offering relief for people who can’t stand the silly names, and have no interest in Shopping or browsing buy them. Again, I understand. It’s absolutely a gimmick, but I’m kind of with those guys I’m on the side of being done with names myself.

BirdFish5000

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like names; don't care if silly or not. It's so much easier to look for what I want. For example "red and green tabling acro" can mean any number of corals, but "Red Planet" means a specific one.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input the idea really is that I’m offering relief for people who can’t stand the silly names, and have no interest in Shopping or browsing buy them. Again, I understand. It’s absolutely a gimmick, but I’m kind of with those guys I’m on the side of being done with names myself.

Woman is in doctors office with her 7 kids and calls Leroy( think tenuis). All 7 kids come running over. The doctors office worker says why did you name all 7 of your kids Leroy,. The mother says it makes it so much easier to like call them in for dinner, or go to bed , etc. The doctors office worker says what if you want just 1 of them to do something? The mother says then I call them by their last name( think Walt Disney).
A tenuis is a tenuis but the silly names make it easy to know one is different from the other.

Obdoc63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't remember 75% of the names of the corals I have in my tank anyway. I go by color and growth pattern. I switch betewen glitz and no-glitz at a whim. The names you have chosen can be really fun though. So, I say post both, but the name game has really gotten prices out of hand. I mean it's just a 1" piece of coral.
Tim

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't purchased from you yet, but I have looked at your site. I like the "No Glitz" because it educates people on what species type the coral are. For instance, Acropora Millepora are my favorite. Sometimes pictures don't capture the full polyp extension that those coral have, and that description helps.

The trade names help with color morphs, and are handy when describing a certain frag to another hobbyist. Either way, you have very nice coral, and I will consider you in the future.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Woman is in doctors office with her 7 kids and calls Leroy( think tenuis). All 7 kids come running over. The doctors office worker says why did you name all 7 of your kids Leroy,. The mother says it makes it so much easier to like call them in for dinner, or go to bed , etc. The doctors office worker says what if you want just 1 of them to do something? The mother says then I call them by their last name( think Walt Disney).
A tenuis is a tenuis but the silly names make it easy to know one is different from the other.
I hear. you names are here to stay really. If anything I am pandering to the small minority that complains about names every so often. lol. Truth is I specifically quit naming "rainbow tenuis" a couple years ago. It's rainbow teni I, II, III, and so on for me. way done with that one. they all look the same to me. lol

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t mind it, and totally appreciate the concept. For me though, names aren’t a status / consumerist / sales technique I think, I like them so that I can remember exactly what frags I want to buy!

Once they’re in the tank, I usually forget the name and it’s lost to history.
Not to go off topic, but I feel like names only venture into the marketing aspect when they start adding things like “Ultra” or “Mega”.

OP
OP
Battlecorals

Battlecorals

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Not to go off topic, but I feel like names only venture into the marketing aspect when they start adding things like “Ultra” or “Mega”.
well. yes and no, I mean there is no question that people ultimately prefer to have a name attached to the coral they are buying. this who don't care so much are the minority for sure. Nothing really wrong with that. I think these qualifiers like you mentioned are more likely just even lazier attempts to label stuff and get away with it. lol

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back