OK...here are my results:

  • Thread starter Thread starter Koaboy
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Koaboy

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 27, 2014
Messages
71
Reaction score
0
Location
San Antonio, TX
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using canisters on my tanks, no sumps or skimmers, for the 2-years since I started this voyage. Inhabitants have been very happy, and parameters have been within standards, except for a nagging 20-30 nitrate reading. I cleaned the canisters weekly when I did the 10% water change. I was talked into a skimmer, and decided on the Reef Octopus BH 1000 for the 70-gallon tank, and the Reef Octopus BH 2000 for the 100-gallon. After a couple weeks of producing nice skimmate, I decided to try a test. I removed the filter media in the Fluval 360 canister on the 70-gallon. I still ran it, but with only carbon, GFO, and Purigen in it. After 3-weeks, my results are normal parameters, and a nitrate reading of 10. Livestock is unchanged. Pretty happy. The next step is to remove the media from the 2 Fluval 306's on the 100, keeping only the same socks in it as the 70-gallon tank. Thoughts from the group?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 6.1%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 37 32.2%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 7.8%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 16 13.9%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new