Ok in a 40 breeder?

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soon I will be putting in an order for some fish for my 40 breeder. The tank is a mixed reef with a lot of flow and a lot of live rock. I have about 50-60 pounds of live rock at the moment, along with a HOB CPR aquafuge with chaetomorpha as well as a Aquaclear 110 with chemipure elite and some filter floss.

The fish that I would like to add are:
Yellow Eye Kole Tang
McCosker's flasher wrasse
Melanurus wrasse

They would be joining a single onyx clown, I will also be getting a mate for this clown at some point.

I would like to hear some feedback on these fish, minus the tang police:crossedlips:

I

inactive

View Badges
No tang, Melan wrasse will be fine while small but will get large.. they are very active swimmers as well. The Flasher will be fine.

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply. I was under the impression that melanurus wrasses max out around 5 inches. I don't really think that would be too large for a 36x18x16 tank.

Any other input?

MikeB

R2R Web Admin & Moderator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think you should judge what fish to put in a tank based of the max size of a fish. Certain fish need lots of swimming room regardless of their size. Do your research and I would suggest following advice on minimum tank sizes for fish.

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I had read the minimum tank size for melan wrasses was 40-50 gallons, am I missing something???

Anyhow, would a mystery wrasse be a better fit here? Maybe I could go with a couple of wrasses instead of the kole tang. Suggestions?

MikeB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always go by Minimum Tank Size. I am reading 50g is Min for the melanurus wrasses so I would not put one in a 40g breader

Breakin Newz

WINNING!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always go by Minimum Tank Size. I am reading 50g is Min for the melanurus wrasses so I would not put one in a 40g breader

50g are the same size as a 40g breeder.. The 50g is just taller...

40breeder should be fine...

MikeB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 breeder is 50g?!?!? Then why is it not called a 50 Breeder?

akma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the 50 breeder has same lenght and width. Just the heigh is 2" higher

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am open to other suggestions, I just know I definitely want at least one flasher wrasse.

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not have a Tang in there, but I am not the tang police. I also have a 40br (love it) and in my opinion, multiple flashers would be better than just one. I have a whipfin and red velvet, and had a mcCosters before the red velvet. And am looking for a pink margin to add in. Multiple flashers with one being a female will increase your chances of seeing them flash/display from my understanding. I also have seen an adult melanurus and thought that it was a little too "active" for a 40br unless there is alot of swimming room. That is just my 1 cent.

OP
OP
subielover

subielover

Renegade reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, with multiple flashers would I still need a female? I was under the impression that having different flashers would also encourage them to keep their colors as well as occasionally flash.

GPhiAce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my understanding, you are correct and a female will increase the likelihood/ amount of flashing. I only have males, and I have seen my McCosters (RIP) and Whipfin flash. If anyone else have input, please correct me if I am wrong.

plainrt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one yellow coris and a christmas wrasse in my breeder.Both sweet fish and enjoy them

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back