OK People with Red Sea Reefer Failures... Convince me not to....

ReefHunter006

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This all doesn’t make sense to me.

The point of this, intentional or not, seems to be to stir the Red Sea seam pot. Of which I own their largest models and have been involved in two seam disasters.

The onus isn’t on us to prove it isn’t a problem.

One post to social media providing data that seam breaks are not statistically significant is all it would take, in a fancy public relations friendly way. Like “hey, we hear all your concerns, contact us for options of upgrading a warranty (doesn’t mean free)”. There are many options available, but we don’t see them doing proactive things like that do we. Maybe it’s not truly an issue structurally, but from a business relations standpoint I would be concerned.

But hey, as a dangerous internet person, that’s just like my opinion man

Instead months ago we got word they were making changes to certain models over concerns without them ever adding what the concerns actually were.

So go buy it man, no one is stopping you.

Most people’s minds are made up on this subject. If you feel the onus is on the “dangerous internet” to prove otherwise then I am not sure what you hope to achieve with this post.

Red Sea has a quality control issue that I feel has not been handled by a company that truly believes this is some one off scenario. In fact, as noted earlier, I believe their actions prove other wise.

Last edited:

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a max series. This tank gives me anxiety. Not to mention theres always a freaking issue with it (drain clogs so easy) protein skimmer not working) and other issues with the back chamber. Its an AIO tank. But boy does that fooating glass frobt panel seem so stupid and mine looks like the silicone is starting to shift down with the weight… waiting on the explosion that I know is coming.
So I've read the myriad of threads here about Red Sea Reefers failing and ruining the world. I currently have an old school 90 gallon reef tank that has the overflow (this was from WAY before people drilled their tanks) that has caused issues to the point where I fear the stand's integrity is in question. Time to upgrade to a new tank. I love the look of the Red Sea Reefers (who doesn't?) and begin looking for a tank.

The new one's seem overpriced. I check the used ones and come across the threads here. Uh Oh! Red Sea Reefer tanks fail and destroy the earth, one apartment at a time. Some say it is the seam from the factory...others blame indiscriminate tank cleaning...still others claim their tank wasn't level or that the stand itself was bowed... all interesting claims from people who have never actually seen the tanks in question...

But the biggest commonality in the threads is that everyone "knows a guy" who had a Red Sea Reefer catastrophic failure. I spent an hour reading through and came across 4 legitimate, verifiable, stories of people with FIRST HAND experiences, and two of those were catastrophic, and only one had a photo.

Meanwhile, others refer to "hundreds of instances" but I don't really see hundreds of instances. There are thousands of reports of people seeing the Loch Ness Monster, after all. (Pictures or it didn't happen!) Since the next part of the story is a complaint on how Red Sea won't honor their warranty, I assume these people got photos, because no one is honoring any claims without photos.

I've been in the hobby for 30 years, with 20 of those at the pro-level. I've seen tank failures. If Red Sea is that bad, I would think that reputable dealers like BRS would drop them (Isn't BRS all about standing behind their hobbyists?)

Long story short - I want to hear your first hand accounts of buying a Red Sea Reefer that had a catastrophic failure. Not a tank with a bubble in the seam, or a story about a friend of a friend or a guy who was deleted on FB. Let's see these compiled into one thread. Please don't reply with your opinions on why you wouldn't buy one, or why you shouldn't get a used tank, or your opinion on whatever.

Let's show that Red Sea Failure footage!

Convince me, through your own first hand account, why I shouldn't buy one.
n

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
They aren’t rumors. They are facts. I know 2 people who have had failures. Both G1s. I don’t know of anyone with a failed G2.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get this, it’s less money and the stand is built better

96AD6416-E4BC-45CD-B56D-0C166461578F.jpeg
C5B2A1A5-E983-4303-A80A-0A34EFC85D88.jpeg
5EB67162-C8DE-46E7-90E4-66EE830B042A.jpeg
721731B5-A701-4503-B410-EE3B4EB6FC3E.jpeg

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you go… this is mine

Clearly another rumor

I wouldn’t even buy a nano from these guys after the way they reacted to this explosion of people all having issues with the same series of tanks. Total lack of empathy and customer service in 90% of the situations.

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearly another rumor

I wouldn’t even buy a nano from these guys after the way they reacted to this explosion of people all having issues with the same series of tanks. Total lack of empathy and customer service in 90% of the situations.
they gave me a new G2. It was tough to pass up. It’s been holding well for a year and half and definitely seems better made. I agree though that I wouldn’t buy another one.

Tahiti

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Besides the seam failures, the RedSea tanks are also known to have faulty diaphragm valves that need to be swapped out for gate valves.
The water level in the overflow constantly shifting and making you want to pull your hair out. If I had to do it all over again, I would have never bought a RedSea tank. And mine is a G2 bought in November. Never again.
I'm sticking with Innovative Marine going forward like I have for the past 10 years.

Kettennis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've read the myriad of threads here about Red Sea Reefers failing and ruining the world. I currently have an old school 90 gallon reef tank that has the overflow (this was from WAY before people drilled their tanks) that has caused issues to the point where I fear the stand's integrity is in question. Time to upgrade to a new tank. I love the look of the Red Sea Reefers (who doesn't?) and begin looking for a tank.

The new one's seem overpriced. I check the used ones and come across the threads here. Uh Oh! Red Sea Reefer tanks fail and destroy the earth, one apartment at a time. Some say it is the seam from the factory...others blame indiscriminate tank cleaning...still others claim their tank wasn't level or that the stand itself was bowed... all interesting claims from people who have never actually seen the tanks in question...

But the biggest commonality in the threads is that everyone "knows a guy" who had a Red Sea Reefer catastrophic failure. I spent an hour reading through and came across 4 legitimate, verifiable, stories of people with FIRST HAND experiences, and two of those were catastrophic, and only one had a photo.

Meanwhile, others refer to "hundreds of instances" but I don't really see hundreds of instances. There are thousands of reports of people seeing the Loch Ness Monster, after all. (Pictures or it didn't happen!) Since the next part of the story is a complaint on how Red Sea won't honor their warranty, I assume these people got photos, because no one is honoring any claims without photos.

I've been in the hobby for 30 years, with 20 of those at the pro-level. I've seen tank failures. If Red Sea is that bad, I would think that reputable dealers like BRS would drop them (Isn't BRS all about standing behind their hobbyists?)

Long story short - I want to hear your first hand accounts of buying a Red Sea Reefer that had a catastrophic failure. Not a tank with a bubble in the seam, or a story about a friend of a friend or a guy who was deleted on FB. Let's see these compiled into one thread. Please don't reply with your opinions on why you wouldn't buy one, or why you shouldn't get a used tank, or your opinion on whatever.

Let's show that Red Sea Failure footage!

Convince me, through your own first hand account, why I shouldn't buy one.
Currently working with homeowner insurance company and contractors to replace and repair damages. Tank was on second floor. Please let me know if you need more pictures or video or info of homeowner insurance company or contractors.
IMG_6842.jpeg IMG_4084.jpeg IMG_7257.jpeg IMG_6611.jpeg IMG_2744.jpeg IMG_7295.jpeg

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP “argument” is that because Red Sea sell so many tanks, because it is so good, head and shoulder above other manufacturers that it corner the market on tanks. All the other manufacturers also have tanks failures at compatible rate but because they sell so much less, we don’t hear much about them.
I am not quite sure why he posted this thread for
I had/have 420 gal Oceanic Aquarium and 340 Plannet Aquarium and quite happy with them. I don’t thịnh there is any tank failure thread on these manufacturers, but I am not looking for them either.

braaap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Currently working with homeowner insurance company and contractors to replace and repair damages. Tank was on second floor. Please let me know if you need more pictures or video or info of homeowner insurance company or contractors.
IMG_6842.jpeg IMG_4084.jpeg IMG_7257.jpeg IMG_6611.jpeg IMG_2744.jpeg IMG_7295.jpeg

Was a beautiful tank. So sorry to see that happened.

You gonna make a comeback?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware that some older Red Sea tanks had a problem - but, as far as I know, Red Sea took care of the problems and the customers (again, as far as I am aware...)

The new generation G2 Red Sea Reefers now come with a 5 year warranty.

Waterbox only comes with a 2 year warranty - and if you want to add an additional 3 years, to make it 5 years - it will cost you an extra +/- $1,000.

So... make of that what you will.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am aware that some older Red Sea tanks had a problem - but, as far as I know, Red Sea took care of the problems and the customers (again, as far as I am aware...)

The new generation G2 Red Sea Reefers now come with a 5 year warranty.

Waterbox only comes with a 2 year warranty - and if you want to add an additional 3 years, to make it 5 years - it will cost you an extra +/- $1,000.

So... make of that what you will.
Do you think the other 10s of thousands of current Red Sea owners around the world will stick with their Gen 1 after reading this thread or move on to a Gen 2?

salty150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP “argument” is that because Red Sea sell so many tanks, because it is so good, head and shoulder above other manufacturers that it corner the market on tanks. All the other manufacturers also have tanks failures at compatible rate but because they sell so much less, we don’t hear much about them.
I am not quite sure why he posted this thread for
I had/have 420 gal Oceanic Aquarium and 340 Plannet Aquarium and quite happy with them. I don’t thịnh there is any tank failure thread on these manufacturers, but I am not looking for them either.

Just a few posts up in the Reef Aquarium Discussion thread...

Last edited:

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back