Ok to mix salt in the aquarium?

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm filling my 150 up tomorrow and was wondering if there's any reason I can't just fill it with rodi then mix the salt in the aquarium itself? I only have 5G buckets and it'd take me a month to fill it that way

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can get some brute trash cans and fill those up. it'll be faster than 5g buckets. Trust me, you'll want those brute trash cans for water changes too

fishybizzness

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's actually the only time you can mix it in the tank. Just add about 1/2 if the water and then start adding the salt as you add the rest of the water. When it's full, turn on the powerheads and it should be all mixed by the next day.

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definately want to make sure you have your rockwork setup first. Ask me how I know, lol. Tried setting up my rockwork with water already in the tank and failed miserably. Drained it down halfway and started over.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Did the aquascape and then added sand after and have in about 50 gallons and now it is super cloudy. I pre rinsed the sand several times to avoid this but I guess it was inevitable. Any thing I can add to clear up the sand and silt? I won't have my sump installed for another 2 weeks so running a filter sock isn't much of an option

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep! Did the aquascape and then added sand after and have in about 50 gallons and now it is super cloudy. I pre rinsed the sand several times to avoid this but I guess it was inevitable. Any thing I can add to clear up the sand and silt? I won't have my sump installed for another 2 weeks so running a filter sock isn't much of an option

I let mine fill with rodi and let the salt mix in the tank. A couple of powerheads will really help. It will all settle down and start to clear up in a couple of days. I built a saltwater mixing station for my 155 gallon after the first water change, ha. Best investment I’ve made by far!

20171113_125909.jpg

Last edited:

UCF Alum

Stick addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you used Carib Sea, it comes with a packet of binding agent to clear that up. If not, only time will fix the cloudiness, along with hooking up your sump with micron filter socks and carbon.

This cleared my tank in 24 hours with that method.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you used Carib Sea, it comes with a packet of binding agent to clear that up. If not, only time will fix the cloudiness, along with hooking up your sump with micron filter socks and carbon.

This cleared my tank in 24 hours with that method.
No sump yet. Anyway to run it with no sump? Am I still good to mix salt, start the cycle and add live rock if it's cloudy?

billwill

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sump yet. Anyway to run it with no sump? Am I still good to mix salt, start the cycle and add live rock if it's cloudy?

You could add a maxi jet with tubing into a filter sock hanging inside your tank just above the water line. That would help

brandolphjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I let mine fill with rodi and let the salt mix in the tank. A couple of powerheads will really help. It will all settle down and start to clear up in a couple of days. I built a saltwater mixing station for my 155 gallon after the first water change, ha. Best investment I’ve made by far!

20171113_125909.jpg
Nice,, gotta build one for mine..[emoji2]

Back