Ok to put different torches next to each other? If that makes sense. . .

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I want to slowly turn my tank into a bunch of sections/"gardens" where I can keep corals together without them killing eachother. I know certain euphyllia can be kept together, but is there any risk of mixing different "types"/localities???

Like I have a cotton candy torch, can I stick any torch coral next to it?

I have a hammer "garden" but can some hammers sting other hammers?

Are all toches the same species? and are differences among phenotypes (not sure this is the right term. . . ) such that some amongst the species can sting one another while others do not?

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking from my personal experience, I’ve had no luck mixing torches and hammers. My torches do great next to each other, so do my hammers. However, as soon as I put a torch next to a hammer the torch ended up killing a side of the hammers head :/
You should definitely be fine placing torches next to each other but I have learned to stay away from different euphyllia next to each other.

Anyone else have a similar/ different experience?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I want to slowly turn my tank into a bunch of sections/"gardens" where I can keep corals together without them killing eachother. I know certain euphyllia can be kept together, but is there any risk of mixing different "types"/localities???

Like I have a cotton candy torch, can I stick any torch coral next to it?

I have a hammer "garden" but can some hammers sting other hammers?

Are all toches the same species? and are differences among phenotypes (not sure this is the right term. . . ) such that some amongst the species can sting one another while others do not?
I have many next to each other, even close to hammers with no issues. Torches have a powerful sting and once in a while they can affect their own.

400g137.jpg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most euphyllia/fimbriaphyllia can be kept together. Torches are the exception here. They will sting hammers/frogspawn, and about half of the time Indo and Aussie torches don't get along. You can tell which is which because Indos are more branching, while Aussie polyps grow together on one big frame.

codenfx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only indo torches touching and only hammers touching no issues. From what I read, torches can't touch frogspawn or hammers but frogspawns and hammers can touch.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Most euphyllia/fimbriaphyllia can be kept together. Torches are the exception here. They will sting hammers/frogspawn, and about half of the time Indo and Aussie torches don't get along. You can tell which is which because Indos are more branching, while Aussie polyps grow together on one big frame.
hammer, frogspawn, and octospawn all together? If that is the case my life will be way easier!

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This has been my experience too

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 47 29.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 45 28.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 5.0%
Back