Okay guys Ima try the Fiji Skimmer lol

Chase361

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just bought this bad boy for our IM 50 AIO. Should be here in a day or two cause I'm in AZ and this Seller is like idk 35 mins from my house haha. Hopefully its amazing.
I was nervous getting the PLS-50 cause the customer service reviews plus this is cheaper and Its Blue haha.

OP
OP
C

Chase361

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha what’s funny is I was going back and forth between the EXT 50 and having a Fiji 20 sump but thoes tanks are on back order till the end of April according to IM. It’s all good I got her today and set her up! I just ordered the PLS-50 so who knows when that will be here but yeah haha

Attachments

• 4E32614C-7C01-4E98-A301-8812AD932DA2.jpeg
    4E32614C-7C01-4E98-A301-8812AD932DA2.jpeg
    116.3 KB · Views: 72

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELP…..sometimes looks aren’t everything lol doesn’t fit guys. .5 off. dang.
Is it the bracket that’s making it too big? There’s another reefer on here @WestonNanos with the same tank who also just ordered this skimmer and he’s planning on making a thinner 3D printed bracket if that’s the problem. Maybe you guys can compare notes and come up with a fix?

OP
OP
C

Chase361

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it the bracket that’s making it too big? There’s another reefer on here @WestonNanos with the same tank who also just ordered this skimmer and he’s planning on making a thinner 3D printed bracket if that’s the problem. Maybe you guys can compare notes and come up with a fix?
Yes it is, the bracket sits on the side and pushes it against the glass. It’s like .05 too much. It just BARELY doesn’t fit but I don’t have a 3D printer. It sucks so bad cause this thing looks amazing on our tanks. The blue is honestly really nice.

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is, the bracket sits on the side and pushes it against the glass. It’s like .05 too much. It just BARELY doesn’t fit but I don’t have a 3D printer. It sucks so bad cause this thing looks amazing on our tanks. The blue is honestly really nice.
There are several people here who will do custom 3d printing if you want to make that bracket narrower. My man Eric at EelRiverCoral.com can help you. He just made a custom piece of plumbing for me that has worked great. You’ll need to send him the piece so he can mock something up. Go on his site and shoot him an email.

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same tank, and the same skimmer on they way! Like @TheWB said, Im planning on doing something to get this thing to fit.... I will keep you posted if I can design a bracket that will make it work!

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha what’s funny is I was going back and forth between the EXT 50 and having a Fiji 20 sump but thoes tanks are on back order till the end of April according to IM. It’s all good I got her today and set her up! I just ordered the PLS-50 so who knows when that will be here but yeah haha
Also, I ordered the PLS 50 on January 21st as it was my first choice for a skimmer, still have not heard from mode aquariums... I called a couple of companies next door to mode and they all said Mode Aquariums is out of business... I started the process of getting refunded through pay pal...

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
50 thousands(.050)---just file/grind 25 thousands(.025) off each side of the bracket. I could/ would make it fit as it looks like a perfect skimmer for your needs.

OP
OP
C

Chase361

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys so I’ve been messing with this Fiji skimmer and you can’t file down the bracket so it fits on straight BUT if you have it Sideways it does fit in the second chamber on ether side. Only thing is it doesn’t clip on the side but the bottom of the clip rests on the glass divider so it’s basically the same height lol. Issues. It just bubbles over. If I raise it up it’s all good but there isn’t a way to do that? I did add turbo start today so idk if that is making it freak or maybe these have a break in period.

Attachments

• 98AC0738-90E6-4574-823F-C006202FC10C.jpeg
    98AC0738-90E6-4574-823F-C006202FC10C.jpeg
    115.8 KB · Views: 72
OP
OP
C

Chase361

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe there is a break in period. After 30 mins of running?

Attachments

• FAC788C4-624E-4DCA-BD9E-A7C619832CA4.jpeg
    FAC788C4-624E-4DCA-BD9E-A7C619832CA4.jpeg
    108.9 KB · Views: 71

TheWB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe there is a break in period. After 30 mins of running?
After it breaks in If you need to raise it up a little figure out the height you’ll need and make a stand out of egg crate and zip ties or 3D print a stand to get it to the right level. You’ll be able to figure it out.

OP
OP
C

Chase361

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WHELP! Woke up this morning and it’s dead. Pump seized……going to call the place I ordered it from and ask if they get alot of these back. If not maybe I’ll get the smaller one for a 35 gallon and it will fit perfectly? Might be wrong but I’ve Hurd under skimming is better then over skimming or no skimmer at all. Idk what else to do. Tunze 9004 dc for $250? Ugh sold out every where.

WestonNanos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PSA: I just heard back from mode aquariums, on facebook messenger of all places (literally made an account just to message them) ... the companies next door to them even said Mode was out of business... but apparently they are still up and running... barely... I have never had to deal with anything like this before, it is an insane way to run a business.

IMG_2593.PNG

So mode aquariums is apparently still in business....

I also had a heck of a weekend with the NSK - 70. Same problem, overflowed , overflowed, overflowed, seized , tripped my GFCI in the middle of the night and I woke up to 74 degree water. The dimensions on the IM 50 chambers also dont account for the 1/4 inch glass that is on the back of the acrylic about 4 inches down from the top...

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE JUST MAKE A GOOD SKIMMER TO FIT THIS TANK??? AND IF YOU DO MAKE A GOOD SKIMMER FOR THIS TANK, RESPOND TO THE PEOPLE THAT BUY IT??

Sorry for the rant ...

Cheeze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought the same Fiji skimmer about 3 weeks ago from an online retailer. I have a Fiji AIO tank and the skimmer didn't fit right, but I got it to fit with the bracket as a brace against the side of the chamber (hard to explain it but it worked lol). Was working good after a week break-in period, but then last week I came home to a burnt-out pump! Literally smelled like there was a short or electric fire in it. I love my Fiji tank and couple of other small products I bought from them, but the pump motor burning out after less than 3 weeks has me very disappointed.

OP
OP
C

Chase361

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well that answers my question as to if I’ll just try to smaller one. I’ll just send it back for a refund! @WestonNanos crap man! I submitted for the PayPal thing for a refund as well but if they are in business and can ship I want it cause it’s the best lol!

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back