Old guy starting over again.

Denied

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gang, New to the forum with a big HELLO. I have been searching through a lot of posts for info and learned a ton from my 20yr break from reefing/Fish only tanks. This was back in the late 80’s. I think the reef was an Oceanic 57 with sump. T12 Florescent tubes back then.

Looking at the Waterbox 62.2 marine X. I’ll go with the 90.3 If I can fit it in. What I don’t get is what is the difference in the 90.3 Marine X and the Reef 100.3 other then 10gals? Yep, I could call them but rather hear it from you.

Goal, Bubble tip and paired Clowns to start. Yes, I know water quality and break in cycle and I’m don’t rush things. But today, 30yrs later it is way advanced. Wait however long for bubble tip to find her spot. Then all soft to start Slowly. Sand and sand sifters. In my all Fish tank I had cleaner shrimp that would Clean the Eels teeth. I’m very intrigued by cleaner shrimp and gobies/shrimp pairs . Miss my true Dragon Moray but the Mexican moray loved to be scratched. Sure, that was said Well. Ha. Reef did fine with just heavy skimming and UV now and then.

Reef was overloaded with good Live Rock. Dead spots even with extra power heads. Won’t do that again. Live rock… Took me a year to catch a hitch hiker mantis and two yrs to catch most all bristle worms. It was fun, Like fishing when the lights went out.

I’m a believer in simple is best but plan to have everything on hand incase of issues.

Fun Fact: my two biggest mistakes. 1) No battery or generator back up when the breaker tripped, and I was not home. Bad outcome. 2) Having a show Cichlid tank and painting the woodwork in the house with oil base paint without shutting down the air stone pumps. Hence, I will cover the air intake for the skimmer with a custom dry charcoal filter. Overboard maybe. I don’t care.

I blabbed enough. Glad I found this site. Thank you all.

Pics..Camera does no justice. 1990 maybe.
IMG-3113[573].jpg
IMG-3111[571].jpg
IMG-3112[572].jpg

IMG-3113[573].jpg IMG-3111[571].jpg IMG-3112[572].jpg

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Gang, New to the forum with a big HELLO. I have been searching through a lot of posts for info and learned a ton from my 20yr break from reefing/Fish only tanks. This was back in the late 80’s. I think the reef was an Oceanic 57 with sump. T12 Florescent tubes back then.

Looking at the Waterbox 62.2 marine X. I’ll go with the 90.3 If I can fit it in. What I don’t get is what is the difference in the 90.3 Marine X and the Reef 100.3 other then 10gals? Yep, I could call them but rather hear it from you.

Goal, Bubble tip and paired Clowns to start. Yes, I know water quality and break in cycle and I’m don’t rush things. But today, 30yrs later it is way advanced. Wait however long for bubble tip to find her spot. Then all soft to start Slowly. Sand and sand sifters. In my all Fish tank I had cleaner shrimp that would Clean the Eels teeth. I’m very intrigued by cleaner shrimp and gobies/shrimp pairs . Miss my true Dragon Moray but the Mexican moray loved to be scratched. Sure, that was said Well. Ha. Reef did fine with just heavy skimming and UV now and then.

Reef was overloaded with good Live Rock. Dead spots even with extra power heads. Won’t do that again. Live rock… Took me a year to catch a hitch hiker mantis and two yrs to catch most all bristle worms. It was fun, Like fishing when the lights went out.

I’m a believer in simple is best but plan to have everything on hand incase of issues.

Fun Fact: my two biggest mistakes. 1) No battery or generator back up when the breaker tripped, and I was not home. Bad outcome. 2) Having a show Cichlid tank and painting the woodwork in the house with oil base paint without shutting down the air stone pumps. Hence, I will cover the air intake for the skimmer with a custom dry charcoal filter. Overboard maybe. I don’t care.

I blabbed enough. Glad I found this site. Thank you all.

Pics..Camera does no justice. 1990 maybe.
IMG-3113[573].jpg
IMG-3111[571].jpg
IMG-3112[572].jpg

IMG-3113[573].jpg IMG-3111[571].jpg IMG-3112[572].jpg

Welcome and Welcome Back to the hobby!

WOW - with all the new technology advancements since the 90s (AMAZING tank for back then - GREAT even for now!) I'm excited to see your planned tank come to life! I'll have to defer to others as I'm not familiar with either you're considering.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)

OP
OP
D

Denied

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome and Welcome Back to the hobby!

WOW - with all the new technology advancements since the 90s (AMAZING tank for back then - GREAT even for now!) I'm excited to see your planned tank come to life! I'll have to defer to others as I'm not familiar with either you're considering.

Have you considered starting your build thread? I found its a great place to document my tank's evolution for myself. I started tank first then joined, so I'm still finding myself going back collecting pictures & updating historically as well as current state. Once you create your first post in your thread and link it to your account, they will give you build badge (look left, under my ID)
Absolutely I will. Thanks for the build badge link tip.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back