Old live sand

Yesevil123

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 13, 2024
Messages
194
Reaction score
100
Location
Rumford
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Helloooo so I was wondering if I can reuse OLD live sand from like maybe 1½ years ago, its in a 5 gallon bucket that's been sealed since then. I don't mind buying sand I just had this bucket laying around so I figured I'd ask and see.
 
If it has been sitting that long there may not be much life actually in it. Personally I never reuse sand. IMO it isn't worth the effort to clean it. I always rinse new sand multiple times before adding so even live sand would be dead when I finished cleaning it. I think a better option would be new rinsed sand then add a scoop of live sand from an established tank of you want a bit a head start.
 
I don't see any reason why not. But it would need to be cured. Phosphates can absorb to sand, much like similarly stored dead rock.
 
Yes, just make sure to rinse it well, of course there may not be life in it since it sat so long. I've used the same sand in 3 tanks within 4 years.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new