Old sump new baffles - how long before I can use it?

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've read lots and lots of threads about silicone curing time and how long to wait. My silicone has a full curing time of 7 days.

But, all I did was add a few baffles to the tank. I'm not worried about the strength and whether it is 100% water tight. I couldn't find any info about whether silicone would release anything into the water if used before the full curing time.

I'm in a bind - my garage-located sump is leaking. Started slow and is now letting a good few litres per day out. It's soaked into my wooden stand and I'm really worried the whole lot will collapse. So, I sourced a new tank and thought I'd throw some baffles in first. Since then the leak has gotten worse. The baffles were put in on Monday and then I added a bit more silicone to them on Tuesday.

This is the silicone; https://www.selleys.com.au/products/sealants/selleys-glass-silicone/

Is it safe to switch my current sump with this one over the weekend?

Thanks in advance,

Christian

eloser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I've read lots and lots of threads about silicone curing time and how long to wait. My silicone has a full curing time of 7 days.

But, all I did was add a few baffles to the tank. I'm not worried about the strength and whether it is 100% water tight. I couldn't find any info about whether silicone would release anything into the water if used before the full curing time.

I'm in a bind - my garage-located sump is leaking. Started slow and is now letting a good few litres per day out. It's soaked into my wooden stand and I'm really worried the whole lot will collapse. So, I sourced a new tank and thought I'd throw some baffles in first. Since then the leak has gotten worse. The baffles were put in on Monday and then I added a bit more silicone to them on Tuesday.

This is the silicone; https://www.selleys.com.au/products/sealants/selleys-glass-silicone/

Is it safe to switch my current sump with this one over the weekend?

Thanks in advance,

Christian
According to the manufacturer’s instructions, you have to wait 7 days cure time for aquarium use.

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to the manufacturer’s instructions, you have to wait 7 days cure time for aquarium use.
Yep, I understand what the instructions say - what I'm wondering is whether that is for max strength or for inhabitant safety. It doesn't need to be strong, its being used in a non structural application.

OP
OP
PranK

PranK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of guys in here saying that the 7 days time is for structure, not toxicity.

I'll leave it if theres a question mark, but man I'm sick of the water everywhere!

TDEcoral

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me, I'd feel comfortable installing the sump over the weekend if the baffles were installed on Monday and Tuesday.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%

Back