Old tank, silicone concerns

TimeTwister

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So after letting it sit in my garage for a year I decided to finally start working on the 150 gallon (72x20x24) tank I got for free.

The tank sat empty and in storage at a friend's house for over 10 years and was used for an unknown number of years before that. It is etched with hard water, has some scratches, needs to be resealed and needs a new overflow as the existing is too small for what i want to do.

However, even with all that it was free, so i figured I'd use it. After filling the tank to see how it looked with water it in and to make sure it didn't immediately start leaking water I noticed that the silicon actually holding the panes together look like they have some discoloration to them and possibly air bubbles. Do these look ok, or are they bad enough where a reseal isn't enough and I would need to completely disassemble the tank?

To be honest, with the shape the glass is in and other fixes needed, if it also needs to be rebuilt I'd probably scrap the project and just get a new tank.

http://imgur.com/a/JywQV

p7willm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like bubbles in the silicone to me. If it fails you will have 150 gallons of water on the floor, the fish flopping, and the coral gasping for water. I do not think it is worth it to trust this tank.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New tank.

Lesley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_9611.JPG
IMG_9601.JPG
IMG_9618.JPG
Results of 400g silicone fail
Don't risk it
It leads to heartbreak

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 94 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 58 30.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.6%
Back