Old timer but brand new frag tank light

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new light for my frag tank showed up today. I actually had this same light 12 years ago on my 29 gallon biocube that grew Ora acros like crazy. I threw it away 4 or 5 years ago while cleaning out my garage. This was the only one I could find on the internet.
02992238-7157-4B55-894B-360F850013D6.jpeg

Clamp on 250 watt hqi

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I spent an hour or so when I got home taking off the previous AI Vega and clamping on the k-2 viper with the factory 14k bulb. I grabbed my par meter after the k-2 had been on for 15 -20 minutes and took some readings. My Vega was generating about 225-250 par on my frag rack and the new 250 watt halide generated.........110. Surprising and very disappointing. Im hoping the there’s something wrong with the bulb. Im going to change it out later tonight.

TX_Punisher

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember running the Phoenix 14k when I had the ROIII de reflector ran off the old trusty m80 ballast. Worked pretty well.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve got a 14k and 20k Phoenix I’m going to try but I don’t think this ballast is an m80. I’m going to swap out the bulbs as soon as the Astros game is over.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the bulbs I tried were a dud. I’m guessing there’s something wrong with the ballast. Surely a 250 halide would a:look better and b: produce more than 125 par. I remember my original k-2 viper having much better color and acros grew like crazy. Hopefully I can send it back.

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just happened by and read your posts.

It sucks that the light broke but it's great you didn't have the light plugged in. I believe these lights were originally from JBJ / TransWorld Aquatic Enterprises. They discontinued them a number of years ago after moving into the LED arena. I wonder if you got some cheapo knock-off of the original light.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’ve ever had a single piece of equipment, all walks of life included, be more of a disappointment. Oh well. It could of been worse I guess. Someone in the world, and probably on this forum in fact, had a harder day yesterday than I did. #Perspective

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I’ve ever had a single piece of equipment, all walks of life included, be more of a disappointment. Oh well. It could of been worse I guess. Someone in the world, and probably on this forum in fact, had a harder day yesterday than I did. #Perspective

Very true. But still, imagine if it was plugged in...

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I said
It could of been worse
Not as bad as gfo in my display though:)

Yo, I’m gonna befriend you and come to your house one day to check out your display and secretly hook up a small BRS reactor with gfo! lol

Backreefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That someone maybe me

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 13.3%
Back