Old Vortech models

astreck827

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 23, 2015
Messages
143
Reaction score
47
Location
Cincinnati
What state or country do you live in
Ohio
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a large lot of reef supplies from someone who was clearing out their basement and hadn’t kept a tank in 7-8 years. With this I got several old model vortech powerheads. The wet sides were all toast, so I was wondering if it is worth getting wet sides for them, and if the wet sides are even compatible. There are MP-40w, MP-40, MP-20, and MP-10 models. Any insight is appreciated, thanks!
 
I recently purchased a large lot of reef supplies from someone who was clearing out their basement and hadn’t kept a tank in 7-8 years. With this I got several old model vortech powerheads. The wet sides were all toast, so I was wondering if it is worth getting wet sides for them, and if the wet sides are even compatible. There are MP-40w, MP-40, MP-20, and MP-10 models. Any insight is appreciated, thanks!
It's worth it. I have two 2015 ish model mp40's and I replaced the wetsides earlier this year. You can just about bring them up to current standard if you want to put in the dime (close to buying new tho). I got both the mp40's for something like 50 bucks a piece, so I didn't mind throwing a few bucks at them. It's a weirdo Ecotech thing, people will pay gaga prices for mp40's.
 
It's worth it. I have two 2015 ish model mp40's and I replaced the wetsides earlier this year. You can just about bring them up to current standard if you want to put in the dime (close to buying new tho). I got both the mp40's for something like 50 bucks a piece, so I didn't mind throwing a few bucks at them. It's a weirdo Ecotech thing, people will pay gaga prices for mp40's.
I used to be one that hated eco tech because of how expensive their pumps were…then I tried them and now I get it.
 
Good to hear… I wasn’t sure if the wet sides were compatible with the old models because it says works with the ES and QD models and these are W and then some have no letters.
 
I used to be one that hated eco tech because of how expensive their pumps were…then I tried them and now I get it.
Eh. They are OK. Still isn't worth 400+ bucks for one mp40 @ retail, imho.

The pair I have is sitting in a drawer frankly, the large wetsides is a utter turnoff to me.
 
Good to hear… I wasn’t sure if the wet sides were compatible with the old models because it says works with the ES and QD models and these are W and then some have no letters.
There is a flow chart somewhere online that shows what can be replaced and upgraded with what model. Ecotech was helpful with a email for me and I sent them the serial number. They told me how far I can go component wise.
 
Eh. They are OK. Still isn't worth 400+ bucks for one mp40 @ retail, imho.

The pair I have is sitting in a drawer frankly, the large wetsides is a utter turnoff to me.
I agree about the huge footprint.and yes, wow they cost too much. Big turn off but the water movement is pretty awesome.
 
I would make sure the wet sides and controllers are operating without problems before investing into the wet sides. Some of these old dry sides will have bearing issues and some of these older controllers might throw stall codes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 4 30.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new