Older Clowfish - hiding, laying on the bottom, mouth rapidly moving

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clownfish ~6 years old. I've noticed the smaller fish has been hiding and not coming out for food the last few days. Last night, it finally came out enough for me to get a good close look at it and see that its mouth was opening and closing quickly as if it was struggling to breathe. The fish also spends most of its time laying on the sand in the hiding spot. I was able to get a good visual (but did not photograph/video) on the fish, and there are no outward physical signs of injury, color loss, velvet, or any other skin issue. The fish looks perfectly normal minus behavior. I've read a lot here that indicates Brooklynella, but again, the skin looks normal.

Is there anything I can do other than monitor and accept that the end is likely near? All other fish in the tank are active and eating normally. I am open to trying a freshwater dip if it might help. The only thing added to the tank in the last few months is some zoa's that I bought last Saturday which went through a coral RX dip before adding.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pair of clownfish ~6 years old. I've noticed the smaller fish has been hiding and not coming out for food the last few days. Last night, it finally came out enough for me to get a good close look at it and see that its mouth was opening and closing quickly as if it was struggling to breathe. The fish also spends most of its time laying on the sand in the hiding spot. I was able to get a good visual (but did not photograph/video) on the fish, and there are no outward physical signs of injury, color loss, velvet, or any other skin issue. The fish looks perfectly normal minus behavior. I've read a lot here that indicates Brooklynella, but again, the skin looks normal.

Is there anything I can do other than monitor and accept that the end is likely near? All other fish in the tank are active and eating normally. I am open to trying a freshwater dip if it might help. The only thing added to the tank in the last few months is some zoa's that I bought last Saturday which went through a coral RX dip before adding.
With long term captive fish, Mycobacterium bacteria can become pretty common - these are internal infections that affect older fish. This is the #1 cause of death in long term captive fish and is not treatable. Other fish are not at risk unless they too are old, with compromised immune systems.
I can’t tell you for sure if this is the issue, but it is likely. I don’t see a FW dip as being something to do here.
If you post a short video, I might be able to tell you more.
Just watch the other fish for rapid breathing, as that increases the odds that the issue is something else.
Jay

OP
OP
squarereefer

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With long term captive fish, Mycobacterium bacteria can become pretty common - these are internal infections that affect older fish. This is the #1 cause of death in long term captive fish and is not treatable. Other fish are not at risk unless they too are old, with compromised immune systems.
I can’t tell you for sure if this is the issue, but it is likely. I don’t see a FW dip as being something to do here.
If you post a short video, I might be able to tell you more.
Just watch the other fish for rapid breathing, as that increases the odds that the issue is something else.
Jay
Thank you, Jay. I'll keep a close eye on everything else. I am attaching a 30 second video, small clown is on the bottom and comes out for better visibility at the end. I ran a full battery of tank test this AM and nothing out of the ordinary other than nutrients (phos/nitrate) being on the lower end of the spectrum but that shouldn't affect fish afaik.

Clown Video

Last edited:

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Jay. I'll keep a close eye on everything else. I am attaching a 30 second video, small clown is on the bottom and comes out for better visibility at the end. I ran a full battery of tank test this AM and nothing out of the ordinary other than nutrients (phos/nitrate) being on the lower end of the spectrum but that shouldn't affect fish afaik.

Clown Video

Sorry - I’m out camping now and I only have my phone, so I can’t see the video….

Jay

OP
OP
squarereefer

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - I’m out camping now and I only have my phone, so I can’t see the video….

Jay
I realized my video did not upload correctly. I have placed it on youtube here - The fish is still alive, but same condition as previously stated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I realized my video did not upload correctly. I have placed it on youtube here - The fish is still alive, but same condition as previously stated.

Sorry, I don’t know what to make of this - that clown is really tiny for being 6 years old, it sure is stunted. I don’t see any other signs of mycobacteria here, so I would rule that out now. I don’t see this as being a contagious disease either.

Jay

OP
OP
squarereefer

squarereefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I don’t know what to make of this - that clown is really tiny for being 6 years old, it sure is stunted. I don’t see any other signs of mycobacteria here, so I would rule that out now. I don’t see this as being a contagious disease either.

Jay
Thank you, Jay. I appreciate your input. The size has always been weird to me, I bought both as small juveniles, and while both have grown, the sick fish has always been substantially smaller than the other one. I always assumed it was a male/female thing.

The fish is still alive but acting the same. Everyone else seems fine. I should probably go purchase some clove oil.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 64 34.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back