Older Eshopps Sump set up

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up this older Eshopps sump and am thinking it may be a bit loud with the drain setup. It has two drain openings that go into a single 7" sock. I've never had a sump before and this setup seems like the drain will empty above or at the filter sock level and the water will fall a few inches until it hits the water line. Can I add longer PVC inside the sock? That would seem like a pain to change the sock out. I was thinking about cutting out the sock holder and top section and then adding a Cliff Hanger.

If anyone has experience with this style of sump, I'd appreciate some advice on how to set it up regarding the drain and how noisy it may be. Thanks!

1676160967978.png

1676161340442.png

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, a quiet sump is important to me too.

I would suggest that a small mod to the sump where your drain lines are below the water level with a baffle between the drain lines and the filter socks. Now, the water level will rise, flow over the baffle and quietly into socks.

I'll try and provide pictures of my sump later.

Last edited:
OP
OP
aSaltyKlown

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that would be very helpful. I think I'd still need to remove the top section with the current drain holes and sock holder.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that would be very helpful. I think I'd still need to remove the top section with the current drain holes and sock holder.

If you could clean it up and post some pictures so that it is easier to see the sump and its partitions, it would be helpful.

OP
OP
aSaltyKlown

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you could clean it up and post some pictures so that it is easier to see the sump and its partitions, it would be helpful.
I don't have time to clean it up until the weekend. Here is a stock picture of one where you can see the sock holder. I could put a large baffle in front similar to the middle picture, but I think it would still have some noise as it would need to be low enough to remove the sock.

1676431210273.png 1676431459900.png

Last edited:

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have time to clean it up until the weekend. Here is a stock picture of one where you can see the sock holder. I could put a large baffle in front similar to the middle picture, but I think it would still have some noise as it would need to be low enough to remove the sock.

I promised a picture. I forgot. I'll post it today.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That's a nice sump!

You mentioned cutting out the filter sock assembly. Would that be to eliminate the filter sock completely or to relocate it?

If you want to relocate the filter sock assembly, I would suggest that if you remove the filter sock assembly , and then install a baffle to create a chamber where your drain lines empty.

But I would extend the drain lines below the water level which will reduce sound to a quiet trickle. Then you can hang the cliff hanger on to the newly installed baffle.

This is a video of my sump in action. Notice that I have created a small chamber in which my drain lines empty. I've extend ended my drain lines below the waterline. As the chamber fills, the water flows over the baffle and over mechanical filter media.

OP
OP
aSaltyKlown

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, for the video. That is a simple and effective setup.

If I cut out the sock assembly it would be to remove it. I'm going to go with the Cliff Hanger and mount it sideways so the drains are on the long edge and place a divider at about 9" and put a skimmer in the first section so I can have a fuge in the center.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 89 75.4%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back