Older reef aquariums

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why is it i’ve looked all over the web to find anyone that has an older (years) successful reef tank that looks good and thriving? It seems to me all I’m finding are newer setups and ones that are just moving to bigger tanks. Take me to a reefer that’s had the same tank for years and watched it mature. I do understand how things evolve but I want to know that a tank can grow and be a success for years.

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
9B253DBD-9239-4FE3-9AA4-AC0490F444E0.jpeg
Not a great pix, but 10 years old

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the group.

Ask questions and research and you will have one even longe if you want.

upload_2019-3-10_20-33-6.gif

OP
OP
Michael Darling

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank. I still venture to say yours may not be the norm and few get this far. I know from my past experience life matters tend to factor into this subject as well as other factors. Keep the nice work up.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just moved it here from my old home of 40 years and I moved it there in about 1979.
This glass is a little bigger so I need a few more corals to fill it but it was 48 years old this month and nothing had died of disease in probably 38 or so years and I never quarantine. Not the nicest tank on here, but it is what it is. :D
(I think this picture is 6 months old and I had temporary lights on it. )

Th

This

This is it just before I moved it in my old home. It was there about 40 years. I built it in a wall and the glass was scratched so I bought a slightly larger tank for the new place. Everything was moved here in one day.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Michael Darling

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is really amazing and I’m sure a lot of work. It would be nice to know all the different stages over the years your tank went through such as tank crash and how many times you had to start over?

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jimk60

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure that older tanks are done with some regularity but personally I find that I have to tear my tank down every eight to ten years. I'm due now because I'm battling cyano and have a large infestation of some form of colonial hydroid that I can't get under control. I've bought new rock and am starting over. This is the third time so far.

OP
OP
Michael Darling

Michael Darling

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve watched a lot of YouTube videos and read many post so I’ve got a fair amount of information and your tank sounds more the normal but still on the longer side. It sounds like many reefers are running into life situations, tank crashes or just get tired of dealing with the time it takes to really maintain a tank. Money can become a major player as well. As far as I’m concerned I want to see the tank the person is talking about and know the facts as opposed to just a posting or pictures. I like real time information Im a very visual person as opposed to just post and the like. Anyway, great job for staying with your tank and I wish you many more years.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Michael, I think the same and like to see videos. There are a lot of videos of my tank on U Tube. This one is when I just moved here so it is a little sparce as the tank is larger than my old one that I moved. I was trying to get close ups of my fish. I don't keep the more common fish and go for the more unusual.

This one is about my feeder.

I love Janss pipefish

Circulation off etc.

Spawning

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are definitely plenty of older setups around. I love to look at reef tanks that have been around a while.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reef tanks will run indefinitely without crashes or other adverse events as long as they're maintained; my 20g nano has been in business since 2004.

But, why do you ask?

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure if my tank is older or not? I got it in 2006, a small portion of the live rock is from 2005. In 2013 or 2014 I upgraded to a larger tank. When I moved in 2016 the larger tank broke so I went back to this tank. I lost a good 50% of livestock in the move. I've had probably 3 major crashes. There are some old corals, and my oldest fish will be a teen this year, but some is significantly newer.

fts112.jpg

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 27 14.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 91 49.2%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 57 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.7%
Back