Oldude SPS pix

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all that info. It appears I run my lights a lot less than you. Maybe that's at least part of the reason I'm not seeing as much growth. I'm going to start increasing the length of time my lights are on and see if it helps. My colors are good, but my growth sucks.

Thanks - but don't quit, I feel that same way when I look at some of the tanks out there. The grass is always greener.

Here is my lighting schedule:

8:00 AM - 12:00 AM (on all day for that little extra)
LED moonlights are made up of "Reefbrite" 3 watt diodes x 18 & an extra strip of 1 watt x 12 diodes.

9:30ish AM - 11:00 PM - T5 actinic & Fiji Purple (4 bulbs) start - stay on all day (runs for 14 hours)

1:00 - 1:20 PM all remaining lights come on & run until 9:00 - 9:15 PM.
The T5's and the Radion are on the same timer and come on at 1:00 PM.
The metal halides are divided amongst 2 timers and set up with the two outside lights together & the two inside lights on the other timer. This provides a better sunrise/sunset affect - the inside two stay on about 15 minutes longer since in my opinion this gives a more natural appearance resembling the last minutes of sunlight shining through a section of reef with the rest going darker. At this stage it is back to the four T5 actinic/Fiji purple bulbs & LED moonlights until 10:30 PM when it turns to just the LED moonlights and the reef goes dark at midnight.

OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all that info. It appears I run my lights a lot less than you. Maybe that's at least part of the reason I'm not seeing as much growth. I'm going to start increasing the length of time my lights are on and see if it helps. My colors are good, but my growth sucks.
I hope that works for you, good luck.

Arron209

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through your thread and I've got to say, there's some serious eye candy in here! I hope my sps look as good one day lol.

mrjlopez731

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is your one of a kind tank. I got my little piece of the ocean but you have a nice piece of the Barrier Reef. Very nice colors and this tank seem to just go on and on. Only lets me know that this is possible as long as I do my research first. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just went through your thread and I've got to say, there's some serious eye candy in here! I hope my sps look as good one day lol.
Thanks - glad you like the tank.
Just wow!
That pink lemonade looks more like a monti than an acro
Thanks, I'm not sure which piece you are referring to though.
This is your one of a kind tank. I got my little piece of the ocean but you have a nice piece of the Barrier Reef. Very nice colors and this tank seem to just go on and on. Only lets me know that this is possible as long as I do my research first. Thanks for sharing.
Thanks for looking.

SPSREEFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! Nice job, you certainly know what your doing. Whats your maintenance schedual like and what do you do to the tank? Do you have gravel and vacuum the tank out?

Bps619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a couple of polyp extension shots

SGmille2_zpsd8a277e0.jpg

extremePE1_zps73ec7951.jpg

bigfuzzy2_zps1550c18b.jpg
Ok, where do I sign up for some frags? ;) love the tank!

OP
OP
Oldude

Oldude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome tank! Nice job, you certainly know what your doing. Whats your maintenance schedual like and what do you do to the tank? Do you have gravel and vacuum the tank out?
Thanks very much. I don't vacuum gravel.
congrats my friend , you got the TOTM on Reefcentral [emoji106]
Thank you
Ok, where do I sign up for some frags? ;) love the tank!
Thanks, I can only ship frags within Canada, sorry.
@Miami_reefer one of my favorite tanks
Thank you.

d_adler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats! I just read your article and I must say I'm impressed with how you stayed in the hobby with all the setbacks

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%

Back