OMG did I buy a Zoanthid or Palythoa?

Hahmlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I'm new to the hobby and just bought these 3 corals as my first. Can someone help me ID if they are Zoanthid or Palythoas?
I have seen the big flower type Zoanthids and Palythoas in the LFS and avoided them as I want my tank to be as safe as possible, without the fear of the water splashing in my eyes etc.
These in the picture below that I purchased had tiny flower heads and hence I didn't think they were Zoanthids or Palythoas. But after a lot of research I'm starting to think that they might be.
5f8214e5-2a0d-4f13-b9e0-5dd056127b75.jpg.d48d7d68190e1ea534631691f670ef49.jpg

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for confirming. Gonna have to get rid of them then. :(
i disagree with getting rid of them. zoas and even paly’s can be contained. with proper precaution you can avoid all of the horror stories. but i could understand being more safe than sorry altogether and not having either in your tank

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Thanks for confirming. Gonna have to get rid of them then. :(
There is really no reason to be paranoid of zoanthids. Many people around the world keep zoanthids in reef tanks. Some even keep dedicated tanks for just zoanthids.

OP
OP
Hahmlet

Hahmlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input. I'll be keeping an octopus, so I wanted to avoid any toxic or aggressive stinging corals. I read that they don't do well with aggressive stinging corals, and just erring to the side of caution with zoas as well. But do let me know if you have any idea if octopus might do well with them, thanks!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all honesty, you’re 99.9999% fine unless you try to remove a zoa-covered rock and do something silly like try to boil it or frag a zoa colony in open air with your eyeball half an inch away. It’s astronomically rare to have zoas in your tank and have toxicity issues just by being near it and sniffing salty air. We hear stories but considering the number of people who have zero issues with literal “zoa systems”, It’s an extremely low risk to take under normal reef keeping circumstances. This is my experience after nearly two decades of putting my hand in tanks full of zoas and palys without gloves and sometimes even touching them while cleaning the panels. You know what’s in my LFS’s frag tanks that thousands of people put their face over every year? Zoas. Tons of them.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you think palythoa are more safe than zoanthids?
It's your tank, you do what you want, but do some additional research to educate yourself on Safely keeping them which is not hard at all. The are no more dangerous to you, than a car you get in every single day.

OP
OP
Hahmlet

Hahmlet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ok, I'm getting persuaded. haha
I thought they could kill other fish and invertebrates with their palytoxins. If fish can even eat them and octopus are not affected by it, I guess I could make a zoanthid/palythoa section around my pulsing xenia to stop them from spreading too well.

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they could kill other fish and invertebrates with their palytoxins. If fish can even eat them and octopus are not affected by it, I guess I could make a zoanthid/palythoa section around my pulsing xenia to stop them from spreading too well.
It’s so rare that i’d probably just say no and wouldn’t worry about that. I mean I guess if you had a large angelfish, but you wouldn’t keep that in a zoa tank anyways because it’s well known they generally don’t mix.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added a clam 6 months ago and he came with an unexpected surprise.
Doesn't bother the clam and doesn't bother me.
I wouldn't toss a Zoa or a Paly.

IMG_3875_DxO.jpg

Back