omg have i killled my purple and yellow tang if so how.

did lanthanum chloride kill my yellow an purple tangs.

• yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • no

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • unclear

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the skimmer cover IMO. a maxspect duo. not sure about the ratio, but I may just go back to reef lanthanum products..... not sure if there is a difference tho.. I mean lanthanum is lanthanum right? accord to sds sheets this is true. I checked. so how do they make lanthanum safe for all fish? if lanthanum used in pools kills fish.

anyway, I'm going to put this seaklear phos remover out in the pool house where it belongs... i have got a bad taste in my mouth after this little journey.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i will say that my alk never moved.. using this stuff. I read that some reef LC products tank your alk. again MY ALK never moved.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to anyone that say this on BRS FB page--- sorry.... I post both here and there at the same time..... they seem to take a bit longer to get things posted. anyway, i took it down.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would suggest tagging @Randy Holmes-Farley who probably knows more about lanthanum than anyone here. My thoughts:

1. Your filter socks - unless 'new'. were not filtering as well as they would have it new.
2. Your calculation is somehow off - and Some free lanthanum (i.e. not a precipitate) got into the water and affected the tangs.

I am a little curious - (I cant read your tests) - how did your PO4 get from 0.07 to 1?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've wondered why some folks attribute tang issues to lanthanum and some do not. Still no idea why.

Perhaps it is the purity rather than the method itself, as some have suggested.

Lanthanum chloride should not impact ORP if 100% LaCl3. (IMO). But perhaps it was the filter material or something else.

Would be interesting to take this same batch of Seaklear and dose it to some tank water in a bucket at the same or maybe higher dosing rate and monitor ORP.

If the ORP dropped rapidly there, it may mean a reducing impurity such as ferrous iron, etc.

Doesn't mean that killed the tangs, but at least its evidence of impurity, IMO.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back