omg have i killled my purple and yellow tang if so how.

did lanthanum chloride kill my yellow an purple tangs.

• yes

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • no

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • unclear

Votes: 6 33.3%

• Total voters

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
omg. i started a lanthanum drip today PHOS AT 1.0 in a 185tg mixed reef with a
yellow tang, purple tang, black mimic tang, tomini tang, yellow tail damsel, filefish and a engineer goby, some crabs, shrimps, snails, and urcih.

1. using Seaklear Phosphate Remover mixed it at 5 MLS to 1200 ml of rodi water
2. poured into a feed/iv/ bag hung above my tank 1 pm today
20220205_203331.jpg

3. inserted the drip line all the way down to the bottom of my emergancy overflow drain. adjusted the water level to create an emergency overflow, started the drip.. the other end of my overflow pipe ( located in the sump) held my filter socks.
20220205_203424.jpg

20220121_093947.jpg

4. on the sump end of my overflow. I Placed an unknown-micron bag (store-bought long time ago) , inside a 50-micron bag (diy sock using 50-micron fabric), placed those inside a 7" 10-micron (online order) sock used to filter biodiesel
20220205_203516.jpg

5. drip rate was about 1 drop every 5 secs. I used my cellphone and timed it that was pretty close. i wanted slowwwwwwwwwwww. one drop per sec worried me so i backed off..
6. walked away and monitored/side-eyed the tank from time to time. i was watching for cloudy water, which is not what you want. the water never turned cloudy cool.
7. At about 3 pm I notice these two tangs were hanging out mid-tank/top. kinda odd they like the bottom rocks normally.
8. apex alerts to a drop in my orp below 300 (pre drip 325). i turned on the sumps air pump when orp hit 275, continued watching this.
9. left about 4 to run to town for a bit. orp stopped dropping now rising.
10 returned around 6 tanks still not cloudy,
11. ate dinner, went to see if the socks were catching the precip.

BOOM
THEY WERE ON THE SAND BED ON THEIR SIDES. what the heck HAPPENED.

11. removed lanthanum drip line.
12. determined that from 1-7 I dosed 400mls of the 1500 mix.
13. the unknown-micron bag (store-bought long time ago) sock was almost full ( i suspect it was a really low rate sock. nothing in the fifty, or in the 10-micron sock... point begin I was catching the precip for sure.
14. wanted to pull them out but did not, that may have been harder on them.
15. orp has started to climb since the LC. was stopped.. im hoping this is "they need oxygen issue"

so why is my yellow and purple tang on their side... I RESEARCH THE HELL OUT OF THIS prior to installation... I never read too many fish dying stories, just warnings about it could happen if done wrong. and a lot of people did do it wrong....... yet a lot of success stories using this setup to lower phos.......ALOTTTT.....

I wonder if the drop in o2 (orp) (orange) was to much to fast? blue is my alk levels was too much too fast?
here's my apex data that falls in line with the events. as I stated I watched this dosing like a hawk..
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

WELL WHAT DID I DO WRONG. spare no punches. im ready.. Clearly, something went wrong, and talking about it hopefully will reveal the answer or a miss step by me. the two fish are still alive but I'm not so sure for how long. all other fish look fine this is some BS i research the CRAP out of this.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
omg. i started a lanthanum drip today PHOS AT 1.0 in a 185tg mixed reef with a
yellow tang, purple tang, black mimic tang, tomini tang, yellow tail damsel, filefish and a engineer goby, some crabs, shrimps, snails, and urcih.

1. using Seaklear Phosphate Remover mixed it at 5 MLS to 1.5 liters of rodi water.
2. poured into a feed/iv/ bag hung above my tank 1 pm today
3. inserted the drip line all the way into and down my overflow drain.
4. Placed an unknown-micron bag (store-bought long time ago) , inside a 50-micron bag (diy sock using 50-micron fabric), place those inside a 7" 10-micron (online order) sock used to filter biodiesel on the sump end of my overflow.
5. drip rate was about 1 drop every 5 secs. I used my cellphone and timed it that was pretty close. i wanted slowwwwwwwwwwww. one drop per sec worried me so i backed off..
6. walked away and monitored/side-eyed the tank from time to time. i was watching for cloudy water, which is not what you want. the water never turned cloudy cool.
7. At about 3 pm I notice these two tangs were hanging out mid-tank. kinda odd they like the bottom rocks normally.
8. apex alerts to a drop in my orp below 300 (pre drip 325). i turned on the sumps air pump when orp hit 275, contiuned watching this.
9. left about 4 to run to town for a bit. orp stopped dropping now rising.
10 returned around 6 tanks still not cloudy,
11. ate dinner, went to see if the socks were catching the precip.

BOOM
THEY WERE ON THE SAND BED ON THEIR SIDES. what the heck HAPPENED.

11. removed lanthanum drip line.
12. determined that from 1-7 I dosed 400mls of the 1500 mix.
13. the unknown-micron bag (store-bought long time ago) sock was almost full ( i suspect it was a really low rate sock. nothing in the fifty, or in the 10-micron sock... point begin I was catching the precip for sure.
14. wanted to pull them out but did not, that may have been harder on them.

so why is my yellow and purple tang on their side... I RESEARCH THE HELL OUT OF THIS prior to installation... I never read too many fish dying stories, just warnings about it could happen if done wrong. and a lot of people did do it wrong....... yet a lot of success stories using this setup to lower phos.......ALOTTTT.....

WELL WHAT DID I DO WRONG. spare no punches. im ready.. Clearly, something went wrong, and talking about it hopefully will reveal the answer or a miss step by me. the two fish are still alive but I'm not so sure for how long. all other fish look fine this is some BS i research the CRAP out of this.
If still alive, add aeration via air stone asap
Never add chemicals directly to tank but rather before return pump for even disbursement

reefingaz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I’m sorry to hear that. I have been using this product for almost a year every couple weeks and it Works perfect. I have several tangs including a yellow and purple and I have never had a problem. I mix 10ml with 500ml of water and drip into my sock or sometimes to the intake of my skimmer. I wonder if it was a bad batch or completely unrelated to your fish suffering. I’m contemplating going back to GFO as too many stories like yours are more and more frequent.

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So by my math you only added approximately 33.3 drops or just over 1.6ml of Seaklear into your system based on your 5ml/1200ml solution and only dosing 400ml of that. That should not cause any ill effects in your 185 gallon system. The correlation is hard to deny though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
aeration has been running since three.

no changes in the tank other than upgrading my skimmer yesterday.

have dripped lanthuem before using reefing products, with no socks, water was cloudy as heck, they always lived thru it no problem no signs of stress when I was doing it wrong. lol., but they would swim closer to the top when I dosed the reef products

yes, i have implemented all other methods to remove phos. they all work short-term. my fuge never took off so I removed it.

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss.

There are safer ways to reduce PO4....enough said.
Agreed.. imo LC not worth it if you have tangs. Makes you wonder what it may do to other fish over time. Natty way for me.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps it was too slow?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also do a 20 -30 % water change . Consider maybe setting up a refugium in the future or some other method . Also it is quite possible it was a bad batch or something else .

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never add chemicals directly to tank but rather before return pump for even disbursement
He didn't. The drip went into the overflow, so it would've gone through his entire sump and filtration before ending up at the return pump to be disbursed.

Two Little Fishies Phosban works great. I've used it with tangs and no ill effects.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He didn't. The drip went into the overflow,
this is accurate.... I dripped into the top of the overflow, adjusted the water level to create an overflow, started the drip the other end of my overflow pipe ( located in the sump) was my filter socks. I wonder if the drop in o2 (orp) (orange) was to much to fast? blue is my alk levels
here's my apex data that falls in line with the events. as I stated I watched this dosing like a hawk..
Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

Capture3.JPG

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My orp drops way faster than that when I add fresh salt water during a small water change. I don't think the orp is the issue.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you are correct ,but clearly, LC affects ORP(O2 levels) interesting note. im so not looking forward to lights on tomorrow.

lc drip over two hours dropped orp 6 pnts
lc drip stopped and orp has risen 14 pnts in two hours.

Last edited:

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
but clearly, LC affects ORP(O2 levels) interesting note.
Yes it can lower ORP and apparently did in your system. However ORP is not a measurement or O2 in the system. It is far more complicated than that. I am not an expert so I will not attempt to try to explain it.
Oxidation Reduction Potential and Oxygen concentration are two separate things.

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oxidation Reduction Potential and Oxygen concentration are two separate things.
you are correct. i just consider them related ( one in the same when I speak of orp. i know when i aerate my water with air stones, the gas exchange that is happening raise my orp. so. yeah

OP
OP
ddc0715

ddc0715

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is such a small amount of LC its hard to believe thats the problem. Could there have been a contaminant if the filter socks. You say bought online and used for diesel fuel? Did you clean them before using?
the place that makes them sells filters for all kinda things. if there was i never saw it and there would be no way to tell or test for a contiement on the fabric received from a supplier... that's would be so next level CSI CRAP RIGHT THERE. LOL and im glad we are somewhat still scratching our heads.. makes me feel a bit better.

Capture5.JPG

Last edited:

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm with the others - that's not a substantial enough ORP drop to do any kind of sustained damage. And it's not an exact indicator of the actual oxygen level, either (there are a lot of complicated factors to take into consideration). I've had mine plummet from the low 400's to 150 in less than an hour (during extended maintenance) with no ill effects to fish or corals.

I also wonder if there wasn't some sort of contaminant in the filter sock, because I've used all sorts of nitrate and phosphate removers without incident.

J1a

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the place that makes them sells filters for all kinda things. if there was i never saw it and there would be no way to tell or test for a contiement on the fabric received from a supplier... that's would be so next level CSI CRAP RIGHT THERE. LOL and im glad we are somewhat still scratching our heads.. makes me feel a bit better.

Capture5.JPG
Not all the filter fabrics are safe for aquarium use. Some are pretreated or coated with different chemicals.

If you have used the same filter before without problems, then probably it's not the cause. Otherwise, it is definitely a suspect.

*Edited: Also, if there are some sort of coating on the filter, it can drop orp, fast. It can also collapse the skimmer bubbles, or make it foam like crazy.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 27 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back