Losing zebrasomas tangs due to overdosing Fe

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4C87E868-C4F3-45CC-B2BE-536312841684.jpeg
It’s such a long night for me and my 3 zebrasomas tangs. Yesterday, when I accidentally overdosing iron to mine tank with seachem flourish iron, my 3 tangs ( desjardinj, purple, yellow tang ) suddenlly had heavy breathing symtom. This morning, the desjardinj was the first to go, his skin turned white on the belly, I guesed something was clogged into their gill :(. I don’t know if the others 2 will make it or not.

Only these 3 got that symtoms after the dose, the other fishes ( clarkii clowns, lemon peel angel, CBB ), coral and shrimp are fine.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sucks my friend.
This is going even above my pay raise.

@4FordFamily

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, that’s a new one to me. That looks like an infection but I’m perplexed!

#Reefsquad

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell a bit more about your system?
History?
Dosing schedule and test results?
New tank mates as corals?
Feeding schedule and what you feed, fish and corals?

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From what I am reading on the Seacheme site, flourish is for planted systems, not for reefs?? link

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell a bit more about your system?
History?
Dosing schedule and test results?
New tank mates as corals?
Feeding schedule and what you feed, fish and corals?
My tanks has been running for over 3 months. I have spent 1 month for the tank to completely cycled.
My latest test show my Ca: 480 ppm
Alk: 7-8 dkh
Mg:1300 ppm
Corals: sps pink millie, indonesia toadstool coral, pipe organ corals, zoathids, and 1 orange plate fungia.
I dose red sea abc+ daily in the morning and night, and then tweak the Alk a bit with red sea foundation B when the number is out of whack.
I feed my tank heavily, twice a day with ON f1 and f2 pellets food, additionally with a half shell clam for the CBB.
I feed my corals with Continum zooblast once a week.
My sump contains a regal 200s octo skimmer with a 150 liters refugium chamber full of grape caulerpa and chaeto, with some mixed types of other algaes.
From what I am reading on the Seacheme site, flourish is for planted systems, not for reefs?? link
I have done some research before and found that there are ppl using it in reef.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flourish iron can be used in a reef.
Yes it is for fresh water to get the reds out of the plants.

Ok first of how much did you dosed on the iron part?
You don’t mention what size tank you have.
Having the tank stocked only 2 months with a pretty large bioload.
Imo I thinking you dosed too much and triggered a chemical reaction in the tank, maybe a ammonia spike as your fish were breading heavenly.
But why only your tangs o_O
Than again I don’t think you quarantined any of the fish that can raise the question if we dealing with a decease here.
How are the other fish doing and what about the condition of the two left over tangs.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this exact same thing happen with my yellow tang before, dosing brightwell aquatics ferrion iron supplement. I contacted the company and they said it's safe and was probably another condition that caused it. I also dosed potassium just after the iron so i thought that may have been the reason but now I think iron is a little to much for my tang. I wonder if this has happened to more people?

Last edited:
OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 500 liters tank included sump. The recommend dose is 1 capful per 200 lit, i accidentally made it 4 capful.

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, never heard of Fe dosing causing issues with tangs. Anyone else have situations like this?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 500 liters tank included sump. The recommend dose is 1 capful per 200 lit, i accidentally made it 4 capful.

Recommended dose as on the bottle?
Remember that dose is for freshwater, so even if you did one cap you over dosed big time.

Your total water volume is 132 gallons which of 40 gallons is your sump.
That brings your tank only at 92 gallons.
Not playing tangpolice here but just saying.

I dosed only 1ml on a 200 gallon tank with sump 300 gallon.
Same flourish iron, and with a ICP test I was rich in iron so even the 1ml was too much.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High iron levels in water can lead to the precipitation of iron oxides. A heavy layer of iron oxides on the gills can lead to lamellar fusion and to severe gill disease. Clinical signs of iron toxicity reflect the relative hypoxia (piping, gasping, and increased opercular rate).

NSW has iron in extremely small amount 0.00006ppm. I have seen hobbyists maintaining 2ppm in tanks but its not a sudden increase.
Added stress along with iron poisoning could be the culprit. I recommend pulling fish out to a qt while a massive water change plus use of carbon can bring iron down quick. For whats it worth iron is not likely to be in water too long it degrades fast.

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting, never heard of Fe dosing causing issues with tangs. Anyone else have situations like this?

I dosed iron then some potassium then my tang strated breathing heavily swam back and forth in the tank until it laid on it's side and died. At first my thoughts were the combination of dosing both supplements, but I'm leaning towards the Iron that killed my tang.

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone ! I think I have got what I deserved. :( D6B83EDB-450F-48C4-A547-629BBC001700.jpeg
Here they are 10 minutes before the dose, swimming normally and eating like pigs

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone ! I think I have got what I deserved. :( D6B83EDB-450F-48C4-A547-629BBC001700.jpeg
Here they are 10 minutes before the dose, swimming normally and eating like pigs
well maybe you got what you deserved but your poor fish on the other hand ..... Sorry for me being the one to say it

pecan2phat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you dosing iron for macro algae?
Even so, 1 capful for 200 liters (53g) is an awful lot.
I dose one drop daily per 95 liters (25g) of water volume for macro algae.

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well maybe you got what you deserved but your poor fish on the other hand ..... Sorry for me being the one to say it
yes, they didnt deserved this :(, may be i’m not gonna put any tang in this tank again, and never dose for sth i can not measure.
At the end, it’s my fault .
Are you dosing iron for macro algae?
Even so, 1 capful for 200 liters (53g) is an awful lot.
I dose one drop daily per 95 liters (25g) of water volume for macro algae.
Yes, i dosed Iron for my refugium, and to get more green on my toadstool with pipe organ coral. :( been dosing 2 capful for 2 months, weekly.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My tanks has been running for over 3 months. I have spent 1 month for the tank to completely cycled.
My latest test show my Ca: 480 ppm
Alk: 7-8 dkh
Mg:1300 ppm
Corals: sps pink millie, indonesia toadstool coral, pipe organ corals, zoathids, and 1 orange plate fungia.
I dose red sea abc+ daily in the morning and night, and then tweak the Alk a bit with red sea foundation B when the number is out of whack.
I feed my tank heavily, twice a day with ON f1 and f2 pellets food, additionally with a half shell clam for the CBB.
I feed my corals with Continum zooblast once a week.
My sump contains a regal 200s octo skimmer with a 150 liters refugium chamber full of grape caulerpa and chaeto, with some mixed types of other algaes.

I have done some research before and found that there are ppl using it in reef.
I use Flourish with no issuesp

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
When manually dosing, we have to take in consideration "USEABLE GALLONS".
Because our tank as an example is 100 gallons, doesnt mean we have 100 gallons. After addition if rock, etc, we maybe have 70 useable gallons. We have to dose according to that factor.

Any manual dosing, i always dose short of recommedations. Like a car engine, a little oil is better than No oil at all. I apply the same to additives.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 65 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back