Losing zebrasomas tangs due to overdosing Fe

jairsandoval

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this exact same thing happen with my yellow tang before, dosing brightwell aquatics ferrion iron supplement. I contacted the company and they said it's safe and was probably another condition that caused it. I also dosed potassium just after the iron so i thought that may have been the reason but now I think iron is a little to much for my tang. I wonder if this has happened to more people?
I have a blue hippo tang and dosed iron a couple of hours ago. Right away, my tang started to breath heavy. The others (clowns/blennies/shrimp/gobies) are all doing fine. Bottle says 1 capfull for every 50 gallons. I dosed 1 capful. I have a 75 gallon. Moved the tang to another tank, but is still breathing hard. Hopefully she will survive.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am having an issue as we speak. Moved my tang to a quarantine tank and hopefully she will make it. It doesn’t look hopeful.
I would stop dosing iron especially if you do noy have the ability to test it. I dose iron twice a week at 6 drops each time to a 400g tank. My purpose is to enhance green coloration in my corals and it is also helpful for macroalgae and weed coral such as xenia-GSP and cloves.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 19 16.5%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 51 44.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 39 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back