Losing zebrasomas tangs due to overdosing Fe

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me be clear and we all know this, never ever dose if you don’t know where your levels are or can test for it.
Many times newbies reading about dosing and see a picture at the same time doesn’t mean you need to dose too.

2una

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone ! I think I have got what I deserved. :( D6B83EDB-450F-48C4-A547-629BBC001700.jpeg
Here they are 10 minutes before the dose, swimming normally and eating like pigs
I'm sorry you had to go through this.

I do have to say that I absolutely love your system. Very unique!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is a 500 liters tank included sump. The recommend dose is 1 capful per 200 lit, i accidentally made it 4 capful.

Did you do 4 capfuls for the 500 liters of volume - or 4 capfuls/200 liters. You also said that you've been dosing 2 capfuls every 2 weeks with no problem - so it seems odd. Timing wise - though it seems like it was the precipitation of the non-chelated iron in that product. Or some other chemical reaction.

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update !!
The others 2 remaining purple and yellow tang are doing well again :D. Hope they will be fine
Did you do 4 capfuls for the 500 liters of volume - or 4 capfuls/200 liters. You also said that you've been dosing 2 capfuls every 2 weeks with no problem - so it seems odd. Timing wise - though it seems like it was the precipitation of the non-chelated iron in that product. Or some other chemical reaction.
I dosed 4 capfuls/ per 500 liters.

Rob Oderman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just happened to me. I dosed Ferrion at the rate recommended on the bottle and my yellow tang, purple tang, and sail fin tang are all dead within 4 hours. I have had them all for almost ten years. Totally lame

Last edited:

Rob Oderman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It just happened to me. I dosed Ferrion at the rate recommended on the bottle and my yellow tang, purple tang, and sail fin tang are all dead within 4 hours. I have had them all for almost ten years. Totally lame

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for your loss, mate :(

Rob Oderman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Powder Blue, Blonde Naso, Achilles, Sohal, White-tailed Bristle Tooth, Tomini, Chocolate, and Twin Spot Tangs and none of them were effected. It only effected Tangs in the genus Zebrasoma. I also have multiple wrasses, Single Spot and Magnificent Fox Faces, a pair of Masked Angelfish, and multiple gobies, but none of them were effected. None of my Cleaner, Fire, or Peppermint Shrimp or Coco Worms were effected either. They are all in a 400 gallon mixed reef with perfect parameters. I check my nitrates, nitrites, phosphate, and KH at least 3, if not 4-5 times a week and send off a water sample to Triton for ICP once a month. I am not chasing numbers, just making sure things are stable. I have well calibrated pH, ORP, dissolved oxygen, and salinity probes and none of them showed anything wrong. My 200 gallon sump has separate ROX and GFO reactors and has an 80 gallon refugium with a rotating ball of Chaeto(the reason I decided to play around and dose some iron) 20" in diameter under two Kessil H380s that make it dense and dark green. I do 100 gallon water changes 1-2 times a month with water from an eight stage RODI and HW MarineMix Reefer pharmacy grade salt. My tank has five WAVs and two XF250 Gyres that pump 35-50 times turn over that is randomized through programming and storms every day for an hour a 75 times to keep detritus from building up anywhere. Every one of the fifty different species of SPS and LPS are flourishing. Everyone of the fish is FAT and happy because of five feedings a day. They are fed with a mix of five different pellets on an auto feeder and a soup of frozen mysis, Rod's Original, Phytoplanton, Oyster Feast, Calaneeze, Selcon, Reef Roids, and Reef Chili.
Nothing showed any sign of issues before the dose and only the Zebrasoma perished. It had to be Ferrion. There is no other explanation. I wish Brightwell Aquatics would seriously look into it before this happens again to anybody else.

I have seen multiple threads on this issue and I wish all the companies making iron supplements would put warnings on their labels like so many other products do when they interact poorly/lethally with certain species of fish. This is an avoidable outcome if the necessary information is available to everyone as they look into these products.

Regardless, the rest of my reef will move on past this and so will I because I love everything about this hobby! My tank is certainly half full, not the contrary. Happy reefing!!

Gablami

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss. One time may be a fluke, but the second reported incident in this thread helps solidify concern over dosing Fe. Very strange, though, how it only seems to affect zebrasomas.

drawman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for sharing and sorry for your loss. One time may be a fluke, but the second reported incident in this thread helps solidify concern over dosing Fe. Very strange, though, how it only seems to affect zebrasomas.
Zebrasoma tangs are also very likely to succumb to particulates from Lanthanum Chloride dosing. I would be curious if it is something to do with their anatomy/gills that make them more prone to asphyxiation.

PhilSD211

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*le sigh* lost my gem tang and a tiny yellow tang this morning. I also have been doing Seachem iron for a week to color up dragon's breath algae.

I had been dosing 5ml/50gallon every other night.. Last night, I slightly increased dose to match my water volume. And I dosed the night before as well.

Gem was 4" and healthy, would eat flakes from my finger tips. =( he was stone dead while little yellow was laying nearby gasping. He didn't make it much longer.
I did also dose chaetogrow right after. Think it also has "small" amounts of iron.
Guess the combination was too much for them. =((

No other fish or livestock was affected. Kole tang and powder blue both fine.

I've been close to losing yellow tang with lanthanum chloride. It caused red splotches on my yellow. Had to take him to LFS to recover but not sure if he died or got sold.

Sad day. Be extra careful about dosing iron!

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
*le sigh* lost my gem tang and a tiny yellow tang this morning. I also have been doing Seachem iron for a week to color up dragon's breath algae.

I had been dosing 5ml/50gallon every other night.. Last night, I slightly increased dose to match my water volume. And I dosed the night before as well.

Gem was 4" and healthy, would eat flakes from my finger tips. =( he was stone dead while little yellow was laying nearby gasping. He didn't make it much longer.
I did also dose chaetogrow right after. Think it also has "small" amounts of iron.
Guess the combination was too much for them. =((

No other fish or livestock was affected. Kole tang and powder blue both fine.

I've been close to losing yellow tang with lanthanum chloride. It caused red splotches on my yellow. Had to take him to LFS to recover but not sure if he died or got sold.

Sad day. Be extra careful about dosing iron!
Curious - how did your invertebrates and any other fish do. It's my understanding (that unless grossly overdosed) - that Iron kills slowly - not overnight. I would be concerned about another cause - especially if the rest of your tank is ok. Sorry about the tangs though

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been dosing Ferrion on my system for years. It is the difference between my chaeto growing OK and not growing at all. BUT, I have always viewed dosing quantities on these kinds of supplements with suspicion. I dose Ferrion through my peristaltic doser at 1/4 of the recommended quantity.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been dosing Ferrion on my system for years. It is the difference between my chaeto growing OK and not growing at all. BUT, I have always viewed dosing quantities on these kinds of supplements with suspicion. I dose Ferrion through my peristaltic doser at 1/4 of the recommended quantity.
I think this is the key. IMHO - most people overestimate their volume (tank volume) - and thus overdose a lot of things. Secondly - if you look at the website for Flourish it says: "Possibly. Flourish Iron™ is exclusively intended for freshwater planted tanks and not every type of aquarium fish is suited to this type of environment. Research your fish to know what kind of aquarium environment they prefer. Additionally, many fish, plants, and invertebrates are stressed by sudden high-percentage water changes and shifts in water parameters. " They then list multiple fish that may not be compatible. So @ca1ore I think its prudent to not overdose.

Ray23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my great and lovely 5 year old yellow tang last night, most likely due to iron overdosing. So sad and completely unnecessary.

Be carefull with dosing iron people. Please look for other, less dangerous ways.

Ray

Ray23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lost my great and lovely 5 year old yellow tang last night, most likely due to iron overdosing. So sad and completely unnecessary.

Be carefull with dosing iron people. Please look for other, less dangerous ways.

Ray
I've used iron for many years, without a problem. Thought I had it 'under control'. I made one small mistake in dosing with a terrible result. I've been so angry with myself today :( threw away every bottle I had in stock. It's never getting into my house ever again.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 175 72.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back