OMG phew

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear a knocking sound, I go check the door , nothing.. while walking back to my desk I see something lying 3 foot away from the tank..
My chalk bass tried to end his life :(
Anyonre can tell me if that is a normal behavior ? (never hapenned in over a year)
I'm glad I was around to put him back in the water ... hope he got his lesson...

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its very normal for a fish to jump out of a very un-normal shallow body of water if there isnt a lid, its not a matter of if a fish will jump but when a fish will jump. So i advise getting a lid so you dont lose any fish when youre not there. My fish jump all the time but i have a lid to stop them getting out. I assume you dont have a lid sorry if u do.

Angel_Anthias lover

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what i have and it doesnt affect my temperatures or light. If i could remember what brand it is id tell you but i forget sorry. Its kind of like a plastic mesh

SALTY 75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have but I removed it a year ago becose it would raise the temperature.
I guess I will look for some sort of grilling
there is lighting diffuser i have never used it but i hear alot about it, give it a look maybe it will work.

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's what I had in mind, those white square under some neons , I actually seen some chrome coated , just need to find those now :)

OP
OP
anon9896

anon9896

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sat in front of the tank about an hour today taking pictures, I guess he wanted to go national.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Carpet surfing is generally normal. Some species are more skilled at it then others.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screen works better than light diffuser (egg crate). The latter decreases your light and the holes can be big enough to still let your fish through.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried. Really, really tried, to maintain an open top. No aggressive fishes, feeding plentiful and often, plenty of hiding places, as low stress as I could make it.

Still lost fish.

Eventually, I gave up. Ordered a custom top from OctoAquatics (CroMag27 on this site). Couldn't be happier. No more jumping, and it looks as clean as can be.

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried. Really, really tried, to maintain an open top. No aggressive fishes, feeding plentiful and often, plenty of hiding places, as low stress as I could make it.

Still lost fish.

Eventually, I gave up. Ordered a custom top from OctoAquatics (CroMag27 on this site). Couldn't be happier. No more jumping, and it looks as clean as can be.
Same experience and his lids are nice, love ours!

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I ever go without a canopy, I'd look at one of these:

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clearviewlids for me. Love mine. Used to have glass but it messed with temperature and gas exchange (and pH) and to be honest it looked horrible with salt creep all around. Switched to the custom lids and I am really happy. And no more deaths from jumps!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 32.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 34 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.9%
Back